Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Thank You, Thrift Store! Mirror Gallery Wall


Last year, I created a gallery wall behind my sofa.



It slowly expanded as I found more small mirrors and other items to add-to the arrangement. Remember the before sofa? I like it much better after my $1.50 update!



Though I really liked some of the elements in my gallery wall, I had recently decided it needed some tweaking.


My fall updates have led me to remove some of the white elements from my living room and keep the gray and mixed metal ones. 


At first, I tried just replacing key pieces in the previous arrangement, but before long I took it all down except the antlers and M. 


Then I filled all the holes and touched up the paint, which gave me a clean slate. Clean slates are great. :)


I filled in from the center, moving outward, visually balancing the odd assortment of mirrors as I moved from side to side. I tried to balance the gray, silver and gold frames as well as the various shapes and sizes. 


It was almost like working a puzzle. Since I didn't have enough small mirrors, I created more faux antique mirrors using small, painted-wood picture frames and Krylon Looking Glass paint. 


All but three of the mirrors are from thrift stores. Most mirrors cost less than $1, others were less than $2. Frames were $1 or less - usually .57c or .87c.


I'll continue to add to this arrangement, because I would really like it to flow up and over the doorway in an organic fashion.


Since there is only one window in this room, the mirrors are a great way to reflect the light. 


Here's a peek at the before, taken last December:




Here it is today:


The new view from the front door:


It is a change most people might not notice, but to my eye, it is more cohesive. 

I have switched up three other areas on the other side of the room. I'll show you those next time!

Word for the Day:

James 1:23-24

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.

Possibly Linking With:

Sunday

Sunday Show-off Link Party
Silver Pennies Sundays
Monday

Masterpiece Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Give Me the Goods Monday
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Scoop
The Scoop
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Inspiration Exchange Linky Party
Wednesday

Wow Us Wednesday
Blissfully White Wednesday
What’s it Wednesday
Cottage Style Party
What We Accomplished Wednesday
Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Time Travel Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Grey Dey Thursdey
Be Inspired
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Frugal Friday
Fabulously Creative Friday
Friday’s Five Features
Weekend
Saturday

Party Junk
Get Schooled Saturday

10 comments:

farmhouse-story said...

beautiul, revi--it's kind of a crowning touch for your sofa:) why have i not thought to spray picture glass...you clever girl! i'll look a picture frames differently because of you!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Oh Revi! I LOVE the wall! Super cute and the gold is my favorite! Thought of you today....because I'm about to bake bread. :)

Happy day!
karianne

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I love how it nicely flows. You did so great. And I agree 100% about the mirror reflecting the light

Paulette said...

The wall is lovely.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I think the new arrangement is so lovely, Revi...love that you shopped thrift stores and made your own mirrors, too!

Pamela said...

Revi it looks fab! I have two of the cherub mirrors, like the one you have below your 'M', hanging up in our laundry room. Thanx for coming to party at THT!

Maria said...

What a beautiful collection! I love how you arranged all the mirrors together on the wall, they look fabulous! And I love the gold "M" in there too, beautiful!

the cape on the corner said...

wow! what a statement! and I love how it goes off on the left side.

MONICA LIVAS said...

What a wonderful wall decor!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Revi, I really like the different shapes and forms you have used. Gallery walls is something that I have not dared tackle. You really made it flow nicely! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
hugs,
Jann