Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Humble Life



You've seen this humble guy before. He has played a supporting role in many of my posts, though he has never been featured. He's the strong, silent type.



He's been with me from the beginning. Simple and versatile in his lowly state.



He's always there - ready to serve, a nice size on which to display some project recently finished. His height is good for taking photos. He travels inside or out. Sometimes, I've left him outside overnight without a thought.



Still, he is there for me, waiting patiently next to my white hutch. He is ever ready for his next assignment. 


He came into my life in a slightly different state. I met him at a yard sale; he was covered in a layer of rose-beige enamel. I paid two dollars for him - a bargain. He had nice legs, and I've always been attracted to a fellow with nice legs.


He sat in my garage for a year or two. Finally, I brought him inside and slapped a coat of paint remover on him. Off came the rose beige, and underneath was a coat of creamy white. Peeking out beneath the white was a coat of light green. I stopped, not wanting to go further.



It pleases me to see the all the various layers of paint. There is also a crack where the two pieces of wood meet that form the seat of this humble stool that serves as a table. It adds character.




I love the tiny flecks of rose beige among the creamy white and green paint layers. All the colors this stool has ever been can be seen at once in varying degrees. 


This stool is a visual metaphor - revealing how all our layers all come together to make us who we are, with varying amounts of each visible to those who know us. It is our layers that make us beautiful, our different colored layers give us our own unique character. 


Our seeming imperfections do not keep us from fulfilling our intended purpose. They do not keep us from going beyond our intended purpose. Our patina only makes us more beautiful. Even if we only serve a humble supporting role in the eyes of the world.




Word for the Day:


Ephesians 4:2

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.



May you happily find your intended purpose today and every day!


-Revi


Linking with:



http://www.missmustardseed.blogspot.com/ Furniture Feature Friday




23 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Good Morning Sweetie.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and inspiration. I am just crazy about vintage stools like yours and the more patina, the better.

hugs
Sissie

Elegant Economies said...

Love your humble stool and Word for the day! Plz remember my husband in your prayers today, Revi. He had to have a very painful injection in his spine.

Thx, Audrey

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this thought provoking post. We definitely are made uo by different layers, and function differently in different situations. Each serving it's own purpose.

TS

outjunking said...

Your words were spot on today. The stool has been a real treasure.
Lisa

Toni said...

Beautiful post. Love the metophor, we are all layers - and each layer is shown as needed, either to others, but sometimes to yourself. Love it. And the stool, so deserved to be show cased.

Thanks for visiting my blog, I am a new follower.

Marianne said...

What wonderful words of wisdom. Just love your stool and all of its beautiful layers. It's really amazing all of the layers that we have, each having its own special purpose.
Marianne :)

Ava said...

A beautiful post, Love your layers xx Ava

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

What an awesome post. I thought it was clever, beautiful and thought-provoking. And the verse at the end was perfect.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I really like the way you tie in your Christianity to your blog posts. I find that tricky - so thank you for the inspiration!

Thank you for linking up to Modern Country Style's Fall In Love party!

Sarahx

Town and Country Gals said...

Revi,
very inspiring words, makes you stop and think. I love your stool, I can't seem to pass one up, especially if they are layered with great paint!
Rebecca

Tammy said...

What a great character that little guy has:) He really looks great in all your photos! I am your newest follower from Thrifty Thursday. Hope you can visit me sometime:)

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

I love a piece of furniture with some history. Great, inspiring post.

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

Love your post! :) Thanks for linking it!

d e l i g h t said...

What a great stool and I'm sure it's like a loyal friend to you! Very nice thought provoking post!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

What beautiful thoughts to go with your perfect stool. I love its' patina, too, and am glad to hear it's been a friend to you. :)
- Susan

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love your humble stool, and your beautiful insights.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

I really think I need to borrow your stool...it would make taking photos so much easier, I think. Love your dialog about the stool, as well. Terrific piece. I am now a follower. Hope you will stop by my blog to follow and grab a button as well. Hugs, Gayle.

Marsha said...

You have a lovely blog. I'm your latest follower. Is your name pronounced with a long e or a short e?

Unknown said...

This was a really nice post, great metaphor. Thank you for this wonderful inspiration!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Hi Revi! I just stumbled onto your blog and what a great site you have!! I see you are in Amarillo...I'm in Dallas. I am now your newest follower and I hope you will follow back! Be blessed!

Perfect Imperfections by Jeanne said...

I enjoyed this post and how you tied it in with a spiritual lesson as well. I have an old table I got out of a storage shed from my mom that is kind of like your stool. I love it! I just started following you and look forward to checking out your past and future posts. Blessings!

M.CoffeeSnob said...

Enjoyed your blog (my first of yours). Fun tone, sweet, and what a cute stool! :)

I'm subscribing! Look fwd to reading more...especially as winter sets in and cool weather keeps me inside.
~m

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love your pretty humble stool~ its darling! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!