Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The White Hutch - A Home for Orphans



I have been collecting white dishes for decades - a few saucers here, a couple of plates there, a little pitcher when I see one. Most of it cost less than a dollar. The simple styles - plain, unadorned utilitarian pieces are what attract me most. I don't have a full set of 8 of many things. 



I'm not picky by most folks' standards - I'll buy old or new. I've made purchases at restaurant supply houses, thrift stores and dollar stores. Any brand is fine, and I use them daily. Over the years I've found charming little pitchers: 




I purchased my first set of white plates in 1984 - at a church garage sale. They are made by Tepco China. I bought 8 of them, and have often wished I'd bought every one they had. They're super tough and after years of daily use by one clumsy woman and three children, only one was ever broken. Two others carried a meal to someone, and were never returned. 




When that happens, it's really not a big deal. Though I've never found more Tepco plates in the simple style I have, there's always another white plate out there. 


I actually LIKE having mismatched white dishes! Mixing pieces with variety in detail and slight variation in color is almost like mixing textiles. I really prefer to have matching dinner plates, though. Note to self: Look for more Tepco, or buy another big set of white plates. 



I enjoy using mixed white serving pieces as well. I like bowls with textured patterns that nest inside each other. It pleases me when the stripes run different directions. Sometimes I'll purchase a new set of matching white nesting bowls, but eventually they get broken one by one. 


That's ok, though. They still fit in quite nicely with the other mismatched pieces in my collection. 



I have a mismatched silver tea set, given to me by my new friend Celeste. She apologized that it was tarnished when she gave it to me. I couldn't have been more pleased! I love tarnish. 



It rests a shelf below a pyrex baking dish inside a silver plated serving trivet. I bought it at my friend Rose Lee's garage sale. A vintage wire chicken - egg basket is nesting there at the moment.


Above the chicken is a new trifle dish - a gift from my sweet Hannah for Christmas last year. (It is a dangerous dish to own!)It makes layered desserts and salads look lovely. At first, I was worried that it wouldn't hold enough for our Christmas dinner crowd, but it holds more than you think it will. I guess it's because the sides don't slope in like a bowl does.


To the left of the silver tea set is a nice large pasta bowl from Ikea. A white basket inside it is holding dried gourds and mini ears of corn to remind me fall is almost here! 




On the top of my hutch, I keep a collection of wicker-clad bottles and a wine basket from France. I began collecting them years ago, and now they've become so pricey I haven't added a new one in years. I'm not sure where I'd put it if I did find one! On second thought, I'd have to find a place for it. After all, this is a home for orphans! 




Word for the Day:


James 1:27


Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.


May our Lord bless your Wednesday!


-Revi

22 comments:

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

LOVE your hutch. It has all of my favorite treasures.

Hugs,
Judy

Revi said...

Ah, a kindred spirit! That's got to be my favorite thing about blogging so far. I'll drop by for a visit soon...Thanks for coming over to my place!
-Revi

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Love your beautiful collection. I love having things that are not all matched up too, makes it a bit more interesting! Their so pretty all grouped together!
hugs~~~ Daphne

Revi said...

Thanks for stopping by, Daphne! I sort of think of it like a good church choir. Separately, we might not sound that amazing, but all together, we make beautiful music!
-Revi

Anonymous said...

Love your "orphans" and you.

Texas Star

Ivy and Elephants said...

I saw your comment on another blog and knew I had to check you out. I'm so glad that I did. I love your cupboard of orphans. What a beautiful spirit you have. I'll be visiting often.
Patti

Revi said...

Texas Star, LOVE YOU MORE!
-Revi

Revi said...

Hi Patti,
That just might be the nicest comment I've had to date! Now, I wonder what I must have said that made you come visit? Whatever it was, I need to say more things like that...:)
Now, I'm coming over to your place to see you!
Blessings,
-Revi

Anonymous said...

I love the tarnished silver tea set and the wire chicken. I like tarnished items as well, I enjoy the pattern it makes. I'm in Texas too!
Sincerely, Victoria D.

Revi said...

Hey Victoria! Nice of you to stop by - nice to meet another Texas girl. :)
-Revi

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Revi,
You have a great collection. I love white ironstone. Those wicker covered bottles are pretty nice too. You have such a warm style.

Unknown said...

Stopping by from The Shabby Nest. Love the look of the 'orphans' in your hutch. I also love white dishes and have a few sets, but I need to make more of an effort to collect mismatched pieces.

Revi said...

Hi Elizabeth, and thinks for stopping by! I'll drop by your blog for a visit, too. :)
-Revi

Kathy said...

Hi Revi, First time visitor sharing space with you at Faded Charm. I love your photos and esp. the fact that you have been having this long love affair with White Ironstone for decades. It is like that perfect black dress.
Your hutch lookes terrific with touches of siler, glass and nature. Thanks for sharing. Drop by my blog I have hosting a giveaway of an ironstone platter. Kathy

Inspired by you said...

I wish I had that collection! What a lucky gal you are!

Jessica said...

Love it! I just got my own hutch and I'm so excited to be able to display my collection of milk glass that's been boxed for over a decade! I love white and silver together. ;) Thanks for sharing. Jessica @ www.paintinmyhair.blogspot.com

Cathy said...

What a wonderful, creative eye to go with your warm heart and kind spirit. You, My Dear, have taken bargain hunting to such a delightful form of Art. And this among your many other talents! My Dearest Friend, I love your blog and I'm so glad you are sharing your experiences with The World. But most of all I love YOU!
Cathy M.

Revi said...

Ah, Cathy! You are TOO kind, REALLY! But I know it's from your heart, and I accept your kindness and your friendship with thanksgiving.
Love you,
-Revi

Town and Country Gals said...

Revi,
Your hutch is gorgeous! I'm with you on the miss matched white dishes! I've been doing the same for ages also, just bought a set of 6, white resturant dinner plates from Goodwill for $2.50 and the matching salad plates for the same price. They fit right in with all the other pieces I have. Love your white pumpkins under glass! I think we have a lot in common, how fun, love visiting you!
Rebecca

Revi said...

Hi Rebecca, WOW! Our Goodwill is more expensive here. Yea for you! I think you're right! We're kindred spirits. Wish we could get together for a cup of something, and talk thrifting!
-Revi

Ironstone and Pine said...

Beautiful display, I love white with the fall colors, it's a fresh change from the usual.....and i love your tea set, wow, what a nice friend!!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Love it so I pinned it. Hope you can also join us at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)