It all began with an eight feet long poplar table, a birthday gift another lifetime ago. I wanted a large table for hosting big family dinners. I loved this table! It was handmade and the maker oiled it instead of putting a durable polyurethane finish on it. Unfortunately, the oiled finish allowed the table to become stained and uneven looking. I tried sanding and putting a water-based poly finish, but still it wasn't great looking. It was poplar, and I'd gotten the pine hutch, so they weren't a perfect match.
What to do? Well, what else? What better excuse to paint? I loved the mixed white thing, so I bought two shades of off white - the hutch is a tad grayish. The table also received a good sanding with the palm sander, and a coat of Minwax Gel Stain in walnut. It's been very durable, and I love the way it lightened up the dining room!
Currently, my walls are a beige-yellow color. I've enjoyed it for 8 years now. and have changed color schemes at least 3 times, and it has worked with all of them. (It's not as yellow as it appears in the photos.)
Now, I'm feeling a need for change. I don't know what that will be yet, but I plan to go neutral and light, so it will work with whites.
In past years, I've decorated with traditional autumn colors - oranges, rusts, reds, browns, blacks, and greens. I still love those colors, but I wanted to play with a different palette this year - predominately whites. So for the past couple of weeks, I have painted orange styrofoam pumpkins with mis-tint satin wall paint,
and I have spray painted cheap gold-tone lanterns in glossy white. I've dug into my antique linens. I've unpacked my dried gourds, corn, leaves and Spanish moss.
With your help, I've learned that my little glossy white chubby birds are probably quail.
I also had one vote for partridge. Both birds remind me of my faith - quail was provided to grumbling Israelites when they were wandering the desert. And partridge, well, a partridge in a pear tree reminds me Christmas is just around the corner!
Did you notice the little hand-carved wooden sign on the wall by the hutch? I recently painted it white and distressed it. I think it stands out better than when it was old oxidized wood. It says, "Christ Is the Head of the House, The Unseen Guest At Every Meal, The Silent Listener To Every Conversation."
I purchased it almost 20 years ago at a garage sale for $5, and I love it. It is quite detailed, with stars, leaves, and textures in the corners. I sometimes imagine someone carving it, and I hope somehow they know how much I treasure it.
It pains me to tell you I loved this little hunk of wood even before I really knew or loved HIM. As pathetic as that is, it's a perfect reminder of how He loves us and works in our lives before we are even aware of Him. I am amazed and thankful that He is patient, loving and full of grace and mercy. I need an abundance of all those every day!
Words for the Day:
When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them.
1 Corinthians 10:21
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons.
May you feel His presence at your table and throughout your day!
- http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com Metamorphosis Monday
- http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/ Show and Tell Monday
- http://moderncountrystyle.blogspot.com/ Fall in Love Wednesday
- http://eisymorgan.blogspot.com/ Inspired by YOU Wednesdays
- http://www.fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com/ White Wednesday
- http://micheleravendesigns.blogspot.com/ Primp Your Stuff Wed
- http://restoreinteriors.blogspot.com/ Restored It Wednesday
- http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/ Wow Us Wednesday
- http://www.thethriftyhome.com/ Penny Pinching Party
- http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/ Under $100 Link Party
- http://savedbysuzy.blogspot.com/ Suzy's House Party
- http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/ Transformation Thursday
- http://www.the36thavenue.com// Share Awesomeness Thursday
- http://thriftydecorating-nikkiw.blogspot.com/ Thrifty Thursday
- http://www.houseofhepworths.com/ Hookin' Up With HOH Thursday
- http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/ Feathered Nest Friday
- http://www.missmustardseed.blogspot.com/ Furniture Feature Friday
- http://www.remodelaholic.com/ Fridays on Remodelaholic
- http://redoux.blogspot.com/ Friday Redoux Link Party
- http://shabbynest.blogspot.com/ Frugal Friday
- http://www.findingfabulousblog.com/ Frugalicious Friday
- http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/ Saturday Nite Special