Saturday, October 22, 2011

What We Treasure - Finds and Revelations



This is not the post I planned to do today. Before you think I'm doing an early Christmas post, I must tell you it is not.




Really, it's not! I meandered away from my original plan, but then I do that often. I usually plan about two day's worth of activities and somehow imagine I'll be able to accomplish them in one day. That being said, I can't remember the last time I was bored. I remember being bored as a child, but not in decades.Some activities I enjoy more than others, but there's always some fun project to occupy my time. (Like blogging!)




My day began with a few errands, and I just so happened to find three garage sales in my path! I promise I didn't plan it that way. I went to all three, but only purchased items at the last one. (Unless you count the lemonade I purchased from the cute little girl at the second one.) I spent 11.50 at the third one, and brought home the nativity scene, which needs a little taupe and white paint touch up over the yellow and orange, don't you think? Otherwise, I love it and it was $3. I also found some more tarnished silver plated items - an ice bucket and a sugar bowl. And a cute little bottle for .25c.




This ceramic bust was only $1. I don't know where it will go yet, but it will go somewhere! 





I also found some trim and curtain hooks. Again, I don't know what I'll use it on, but for a quarter, SOLD.




After the garage sale, I rented a couple of flicks at Red Box, and then spent some quality time with my favorite aunt June! I love hanging out with June. She treated me to lunch and then we headed to Goodwill. (Wonder why I enjoy her so much?) We both found a few items we thought we needed. 


I left four taupe and red floral linen slipper chairs (In great condition!) there, though. I would have LOVED to bring them home with me! They were only fifteen bucks each, but the budget is extra tight lately. I know when I go back they'll be long gone. Oh, well. 




On the bright side, (No pun intended!) this lamp was $3. I've been looking for a glass lamp with a cute shape so I can try the Krylon Looking Glass spray paint. I don't know if it needs to be clear to achieve the effect I want or not. I wonder if it works on any surface other than glass? Has anyone tried it yet? There are some basic instructions on ivillage.com.  I want to make some lamps that are sort of like these from Pottery Barn:


Upcycle old lamps with


I also found more Christmas stuff - the tree above was $1, which is really cute. I like it, but I think I'm going to paint it white and stain it. What do you think? I also found two of these little terra cotta planters that I think could be painted white as well - maybe allowing some of the gold to still peek through. 




After Goodwill, June and I visited another favorite relative, Violet. She had a fall recently, broke her neck in three places and is in rehab. I love Violet. We are kindred spirits and never run out of interesting topics to discuss. We've not visited in person in over a year - just by phone. She lives in my city. I could just kick myself for not visiting until it involves a hospital stay! 


I go about my little life - going to work and doing my little projects. And now blogging. (Which I really enjoy.) I put off visiting the people I dearly love, thinking I can do it later. Now, later doesn't come until it's at the hospital. 


I really need to prioritize better. Projects will wait - even blogging posts. People are more important than things. They will not always be here waiting for us to visit them. I get that about the chairs I left at Goodwill. Why don't I get that about the people I love?


Word for the Day:



Romans 7:15


I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.


May our priorities be HIS priorities; may all things get done that need to get done, and may we always be surrounded with people we love!


-Revi


Linking with Donna today:


http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/ - Saturday Nite Special





7 comments:

farmhouse-story said...

awesome finds, revi! i'll be watching for your lamps redo. let us know where you find the looking glass--i've looked everywhere and haven't found it yet.

Cathy said...

I have a "thing" for these kind of Nativity sets. It all started some years ago, when I stumbled upon a pair of forlorn little lambs in a thrift shop. Over the years I have collected several pieces separately, including an ever increasing herd of camels. For some reason I really like camels. :) None of the pieces really "match," but to me that is a part of the charm. Each holiday season the top of my piano gets more crowded, but there is always room for more. I hope to find the perfect Joseph this year which reminds me, I need to start looking now! Anyway, can't wait to see how your recent finds turn out. Love the Krylon looking glass paint, will be interesting to see how it works when used on the outer surface of the glass lamp and any other objects you may wish to try. Love Ya!

Angie@ Knick of Time said...

You found some great things on your distracted path today! I can't wait to see your upcycled on the lamp. I love the little silver pieces too. I have bunches of silver stuff, but haven't figured out where I'll go with it in our new house.

Blessings,
Angie

Holly @ Life as a Thrifter said...

Thanks again for your sweet comments!
What GREAT finds!!!!
Holly
Life as a Thrifter

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love them all! I'm with you...haven't been bored in years! Thanks as always for coming over and visiting @TheDedicatedHouse! Means the world. Toodles, Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Hi Revi, I love all your finds, especially the Nativity Scene. Over the last couple of years I have been collecting the small chalkware Italian nativity pieces. I am getting close to all the pieces. In the mean time I enjoy using large papier mache Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus figures that I painted white and just a touch of gold. So sorry about Violet. Tell her bloggers are thinking and wishing her well. :)

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

You find the BEST stuff. Thanks for giving my blog an award. Here is a link to the thank you post. http://cedarhillranch.blogspot.com/2011/10/beary-good-friends.html

Have a blessed day.