Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lover of All White, Are YOU a BLANCOPHILE? (Plus After Photos!)



I would like to propose a new word: Blancophile. I looked it up at dictionary.com and it does not exist. But Francophile is there: a person who is friendly to or has a strong admiration of France or the French. And Anglophile is there: a person who is friendly to or admires England or English customs,institutions, etc. So how about Blancophile? No dictionary results. 


White-ophile just doesn't do anything for me. Blanc is old french for white. It flows a bit more trippingly off the tongue. Blancophile. I like it. Maybe because I seem to have been either spraying or brushing a coat of white on everything in my path! 


Case in point:





Remember these poor little drab chubby birds? (Does anyone know what kind of bird these are supposed to be?)




Voila. Whitewashed in Rustoleum gloss white, and they take on a new life. (Hmmm, maybe I should wear more white?)




Case 2: Recognize this lovely old beat-up gold frame that's cracked, chipped and repaired? I bought it for a dollar at a neighborhood yard sale. (The chippy white bird cage above was another purchase at the same sale!)



A coat of flat off white mis-tint paint from Lowe's, and again, to my eye, lovely. I purposefully left some of the gold showing. I like to see a hint of  the past peeking through.





Even the repair looks better - more intentional.




Case #3 - the cheap gold lanterns. (Does that sound like a Nancy Drew Mystery to anyone else?)




White unifies them and really lights them up - no pun intended. These are the second component of a table-scape I'm cogitating about now. They'll go with the whitewashed pumpkins from Dollar Tree.





Don't they look cuter? I think they do. And I think blancophile is cuter than white-o-phile. What do you think? 

Word for the Day:


Watchfulness ] “Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning,

May your lamp be always burning! And may a light always be burning in the window to welcome you home!

-Revi

Linking to:

http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/ (Show and Tell Monday)
http://eisymorgan.blogspot.com/ (Inspired by YOU Wednesdays)
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/ (Feathered Nest Friday)
http://www.remodelaholic.com/    (Fridays on Remodelaholic)
http://redoux.blogspot.com/ (Friday Redoux Link Party)
http://shabbynest.blogspot.com/   (Frugal Friday)
http://www.findingfabulousblog.com/  ( Frugalicious Friday)
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/  (Saturday Nite Special)



24 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Blancophile. I like it. Can you trademark that? Everything looks great. That frame was a nice find. Love frames. I did an entire post on them.

Artsy VaVa said...

Beautiful makeovers on all those pieces! I think those birds are quail.

Anonymous said...

Excellent word invention! Yes I am a blancophile too :)
Cas x

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi, I am coming over from Primp to say hello. Also, I love all of your blancophile creations.
I think you are onto something with the new name for all of us who love keeping everything white.

hugs
Sissie

Unknown said...

I'm "that", what you said! I'm turning everything blanco in my kitchen for starters.

michele said...

definitely a blancophile!

love it. found you via primp. come on over and win a stencil!

http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-stencil-splendor-giveaway.html

michele

Ricki Treleaven said...

LOL I do love all things white!

Sharon, aka Bootersmom03 said...

Love it! Love all your makeovers! Found you via Primp!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love how white unifies and ties everything together!

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Hmmmm, yes I like the new word! Loving the white too!! I'm one of your new friends! Hope to see you soon! Blessings!!

Unknown said...

Haha! I like it- definitely send this one to Websters before they think of it. Love all your projects btw!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Guess I am a blancophile! I love all your transformed pieces.
Happy WW,
Susan

Anonymous said...

I love word origins, blancophile--first used in Revisionary Life blog, Octiber 4, 2011. Also love all the transformations, everything (one) looks, feels, responds better after a makeover.

Texas Star

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

"Blancophile" - love it! Everything looks better with a fresh coat of white paint in my opinion too. I am especially loving those lanterns.

Deborah March said...

Oh yes oh yes oh YES...I'm joining your blancophile club!!

farmhouse-story said...

love the frame with the cherub, revi!

Tracy said...

I've been painting stuff white too. I was in a black phase for a while but now I feel the need to lighten up. The lanterns look about 1000 times better with the white paint, really lovely and feminine. And I'm no expert but I think your birds may be quail. Have a great weekend!

Town and Country Gals said...

Revi,
love your new word! What doesn't look better with a coat of white paint! Love the lanterns, fabulous! I've been having trouble leaving comments, yours was one I couldn't. Finally got it straightened out!
Rebecca

Mariaelena said...

Totally a white lover....can't get enough of it...Just painted my 1963 "burb" house bathroom white...walls and vanity cabinet...new shower curtain...white...lol...I'll be posting it shortly...love your blog and all you "white stuff"...please come and visit me too....Happy Friday, Mariaelena

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I'm liking Blancophile! I think it is a perfect word and you are right- a coat of white paint is so lovely!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Oooh! I am loving what you did with "white!" It sure does make a difference!!! I still have projects @home that require me to do-over some furniture & accessories in white! :) You may have inspired me to get on a work on these! :)

~Jessie

Heaven's Walk said...

From one Blancophile to another.....YES! You are right on, girlie! lol! Rusty, chippy, worn, vintage white --- all the better. :) I believe that little bird is supposed to be a quail maybe? Whatever it is, it's adorable!

xoxo laurie

Sandy said...

I bet if you looked up blancophile next year, it'd be there! (I think those birds are partridges)

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

Love that word ... I think I'm a Blancophile at heart :)
Francine