Thursday, May 17, 2012

Martha Undressed


Martha was a little nervous about this post. After all, 
she's a modest gal, and well past her youth.

Even so, she's still a looker. 
She's still got graceful curves.


She has curves in all the right places. 



So I removed her current frock, and had her in her
knickers in the middle of my living room - with the window open no less.


I've seen others, flaunting their unmentionables in
polite society. Things are so different these days.


A few years ago, a lady would NEVER have shown
her underpinnings in mixed company. Martha was such a girl.


I'm not suggesting she was puritanical - after all, she once
worked in a law office. She'd seen all kinds. When I first met her
(at a thrift store in Houston) she was covered in brittle, cracked leather.

She still carries traces of those career-girl days with her.


Aside from her flour-sack beginnings, that was the only life she'd known.
When we met, I showed her a different lifestyle! She enjoyed a slower family life.

When we changed the leather for canvas, she shared a bus token with me. 
It was a round token with "Houston Transit Authority" stamped into it.
I used to wear it on a chain, but have forgotten where it is.

Before long, her clean canvas became worn and dirty.
Alas, she became a little dirty, so that canvas became a palette for a painted look.
She still remembers traces of the '80s pinks and turquoises.


Though Restoration Hardware and other stylish places 
may mimic her, she's the real deal. She'd join the ranks of the 
deconstructed, but for a few minor flaws.



So for the time being, she's sitting in the living room in her undies,
waiting for me to help her with a new white frock. 

She's changed looks half a dozen times since we met. 
She's so versatile, that Martha W. And I'm just so
glad we had the opportunity to become friends!

Here's her former look:


Word for the Day:

I Timothy 2:9-10
I also want women to dress modestly, 
with decency and propriety, not with
braided hair or gold or pearls or 
expensive clothes, 10 but with 
good deeds, appropriate for women 
who profess to worship God.

Bless you and your style today!
-Revi

Linking With

Thursday

Under $100 Link Party
Suzy's House Party
Transformation Thursday
Share Awesomeness Thursday
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Furniture Feature Friday
Fridays on Remodelaholic
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Frugalicious Friday
Flaunt it Friday
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Show and Tell Saturday
Sunday
Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Restyled Sundays
Sister Sunday
Just something I whipped up
Creative Me Link Up
Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Revival Monday
Just a party with my peeps!
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cowgirl Up!
Be Inspired
Twice Owned Tuesday
Wednesday

White Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wed
Piece of Work Wednesday
Restored it Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
What’s it Wednesday
Show Me What Ya Got





14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so much enjoy the way this is written and look forward to seeing her new frocks:)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the shape of this wonderful chair. "Martha" is going to be fabulous in her new dress. Can't wait to see it. Hugs, Marty

farmhouse-story said...

i think she's aging gracefully and i'm sure she will be beautiful with her newest frock:) great post, revi!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I'm not for certain how I feel about a comfy chair such as this--sitting almost naked.
I'm more of a 'no shoes, no shirt, no service' type of chair owner. ;)

I've been out of pocket a couple of weeks, and am catching up on some reading, I'll peruse your pages and see what I've missed. Last I recall we were saying goodbye to the windows...YAY~ Pat

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I'm cracking up, because we didn't plan this but I just did a post about the slipcover I made for my chair "Colette". What can I say, Great minds...

Sharon said...

That Martha is quite a looker...
you made me laugh out loud!

Marsha said...

What a cute post!, you've got a beautiful chair. I love good furniture that can be recovered. She' s already a beauty and I can't wait to see her dolled up.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Revi, you rock! You are my kind of writer. I love it when the objects come alive as characters. I feel for the girl all naked before the world, but I have a feeling she trusts you to present her perfectly when the time is right. I can't wait to see her as the belle of the ball, or the farm girl or the girl next door. However you dress her, I'm quite sure she will be a gem.

Liz

Sherry said...

I so much enjoyed reading about Martha and I must admit she has great bone structure! I can't wait to see how respectable she becomes... :-)

Tammy said...

I can't wait to see what you do with her. I love the flour sack look :) I am your newest follower. I hope you can visit me too @ http://homespunhappenings-tammy.blogspot.com/2012/05/chicken-wire-cloche.html

Cassie Bustamante said...

i kind of like martha half naked... for real.

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

I love your writing style!! So much fun to read! Can't wait to see the finished product!! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower!
Hope you have a great weekend!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.com

Unknown said...

Revi,

Martha is lovely, looking forward to seeing her in her new duds. Although, her undies are not too bad for now either!

Hugs, Tanya

Restoration Chic said...

I'm sitting in church reading your post and giggling out loud. Almost as inappropriate as Martha's current ensemble.