Friday, November 7, 2014

Seven Things to Do With Antlers...


If you have a neutral room, or home, you probably love adding textural elements to the mix.

I certainly do! One of my favorite pieces to use has been a set of deer antlers a friend gave me years ago. Mine are somewhat unusual, as they have the hide and hair wrapped around a wooden form. In the photo above, you can see how I placed them inside an antique picture frame. I usually prefer them in a mostly symmetrical arrangement in a gallery wall, after all, they are symmetrical!

While antlers have been a popular trend the past few years, they have long been a classic element in traditional homes. 

Here are seven antler decor ideas that caught my eye recently:

#1
Antlers above a window 
These are in a very traditional kitchen. 
SOOO Downton Abbey! 



#2
Antlers above a door.
In this case it happens to be a pantry door. 
Notice, these have been given a creative paint treatment.



#3
Antlers in a bell jar.

Antlers in a cloche by Camille Price @Loren Carline | get will to save us some!

via Christy Ford for And George

#4
Antlers on top of an Armoire or Cabinet.



#5
Antlers in a table scape.
Don't you love the contrast of the sparkly mercury glass?



#6
Antlers as Table Base. 
These are ANTLERS, and they're still available on Etsy.

naturally shed deer antler & round glass coffee table

via benjaminbydesign on Etsy.

#7
Antlers as Christmas Decor!

Faux Antler Wreath

Unfortunately, this Pottery Barn version is no longer available.

However, below, 
The Country Chic Cottage has a tutorial for a knock-off design, making faux antlers.

faux antler wreath from the pottery barn

I might have to try a similar version, using some of my collected antlers!
If you're looking for antlers, check my Etsy shop next week. 

Word for the Day:
Psalm 42:1 
As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants after you, God.


Word for the Day:
Psalm 103:1
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!

Possibly Linking With:
Sunday
Sundays at Home
Sunday’s Best
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Amaze Me Monday
Make it Monday
Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Scoop
Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
What’s it Wednesday
Vintage Inspiration Party
Vintage Inspiration Party
Vintage Inspiration Party
Cottage Style Party
Outside the Box Link Party
Thursday
Under $100 Link Party
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Furniture Feature Friday
Frugal Friday
Junkin’ Joe
Thrifty Things Friday
Saturday
Party Junk




15 comments:

Audrey said...

hi Revi ... so nice to see you and your post on antlers. I love decorating with them. All of mine are dropped or shed antlers. This is timely because I am cleaning our bedroom and taking the girlie stuff off Mr.Z.'s night table and thinking of using antlers in the decor. Have a great week-end. Hope all is well.
Hugs.
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I have some collected antlers...right now I have them in a big urn with evergreens. Pretty inspiration photos!

My thrift store addiction said...

Hi Revi! That is one of my favorite scriptures! Your antlers look great & always interesting to see how others use them. Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Cecilia

Donna Wilkes said...

I love the look of antlers, but here in SC, we cannot buy antlers. Even if they are sheds. It is illegal to sell them with a very stiff fine attached. We just mosey over to Georgia where they can sell all they want.

Pura Vida said...

wow...who knew? I knew they were hot but had no idea they could look so good so many ways! My friend here tells me she finds them in her fields all the time!

chateau chic said...

These are all great ideas on what to do with antlers. I love how you hung yours on your amaaazing gallery wall!
Mary Alice

Marsha said...

I borrowed some antlers from my Mom this fall. I'm using them on my fall table. I've never used antlers before. Yours look nice on your gallery wall.

farmhouse-story said...

i think stringing xmas lights on them would be what i'd do if i had a pair. great ideas-tfs, revi:)

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

I love your gallery wall- I think this arrangement is my favorite.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love that antler wreath! Wishing you a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
Hugs,
Patti

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Girl!
Popping in to check on you... how you doing?
Did I miss something? It's been a month-- hope this finds you well, and just too busy to blog and nothing else.
:)
Looking for you in my feed or email-- take care, and blessings.
Pat

Pura Vida said...

Merry Christmas Revi!

farmhouse-story said...

merry christmas, revi!!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

love the inspiration. I have a pair that I found in my parents garage, and I am thinking about hanging them on an indoor brick wall...once I figure out how to :)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Where are you my friend?
hugs,
Jann