Sunday, July 14, 2013

$1.50 Sofa Makeover


Maybe you remember this sofa...or maybe you chose to forget it. It used to look like this:



Well, maybe I should back up even farther...


This is what I spied at the thrift store one day. I removed the cushions right then and there, and noticed this pretty detail:



I paid the nice man $60 and called my uncle Robert to help move it to my house. From that point, KyAnne made it her dog bed. I covered it with a plastic drop cloth to deter her, but that didn't last long.

I had plans to cover it with drop cloth - upholstered back and removable cushion covers...after Ky and Mason moved away. Well...that happened a week and a half ago.



We'd been working on two garage sales and clearing out my garage since then, or I would have jumped on this project the very next day!

Meanwhile, I looked up a few blog tutorials about painting furniture. The general consensus was that latex paint, thinned down, worked better than the pricier fabric paint.



I had already tried that, and was not happy with the results. The color choices weren't great and it would have cost a fortune to buy enough little bottles to finish this sofa! It WAS a bit softer than the latex paint, but this sofa does not get a ton of use, and it is not a napping sofa!

Though I plan to do the eventual recover project, I have other projects that are more pressing at this point. (Today I plan to paint my future bedroom!)



But for now, I LOVE it! I no longer have to cringe when I see it, or avoid that side of the room in photographs. 

I did it while watching TV last night, using three little mismatch sample pots of latex paint from Lowe's - .50c each.
It's a nice greige, a little darker than my walls.

Next, I plan to get some cuter pillows to put across the back, or maybe sew some. But for $1.50 and an evening of Netflix, I'm pleased!

I'm officially an empty nester. Mason and Ky are gone, and Hannah left yesterday for job interviews in Houston. I KNOW she will not return to live here. I have a big mess, moving furniture around from all over the house, so Mason's room can be my room, my larger room can be an office/art room/Etsy room, and Hannah's room can be a guest room. (Today, it's full of garage furniture she wants for her apartment!)

I have a TON of work in front of me, but, that's a good thing!
Painting and decorating is fun for me. Organizing and simplifying will make me happy. Making my home totally cohesive and ME will be rewarding. I'll be able to entertain again! It's quiet...sometimes TOO quiet, but once I get things straightened, I'll work on that.

Word for the Day:
Isaiah 32:18
My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.

Possibly Linking With:

Sunday

Sunday Show-off Link Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Sunday Showcase Party
Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Revival Monday
Masterpiece Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Scoop
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Inspiration Exchange Linky Party
Wednesday

Blissfully White Wednesday
Restored it Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Show Me What Ya Got
What’s it Wednesday
Cottage Style Party
What We Accomplished Wednesday
Penny Pinching Party
Thursday

Under $100 Link Party
Transformation Thursday
Inspired Creations
Thursday Open House Party
Time Travel Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Furniture Feature Friday
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Fridays on Remodelaholic
Fabulously Creative Friday
Flaunt it Friday
What’s Shakin’ Link Party
Weekend
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Get Schooled Saturday
Show and Tell Saturday







30 comments:

farmhouse-story said...

it looks fabulous, revi!! i don't know why more people don't try it. i did my chair over a year ago and it still looks great! great job!

farmhouse-story said...

oh. forgot to say congrats on the empty nester...or are you gonna miss ky:)?

MONICA LIVAS said...

Great transformation! LOVE it!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

wow. looks unbelievably great. One of the other blogs did a chair and said to lightly sand the paint, then wax with clear wax from Annie Sloan. Said it make it smooth and soft. I plan to try it. If you'd like a link to that blog reply and I'll find the link for you.

Marsha said...

Wow! I can't believe that you painted your sofa! It looks great! Wow, you are an empty nester and can rule the roost. I know you will enjoy having spaces and places to decorate.

Kim said...

This looks fantastic! You did a great job Miss Revi!
Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

Christina Paul said...

Love this transformation- never tried paint before but this looks so great-and I'm dying to try it- is the texture ok? love your wall art as well- :)

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Wow, what a little removal of cushions and pillows can do along with paint. I adore that detail on the wood and your thrifty remake. We just painted a whole bunch of furniture with spray paint at my friend's house about a month or so ago. It turned out great. I love your new look. What a joy to have a pleasing sight to gaze at now! Good work!
Liz

Redeemed Junk and Stuff said...

It looks wonderful. The woodwork is beautiful and whenever you decide to reupholster it it will be stunning. I can't wait to see what you do with your studio. You are so creative and resourceful. You inspire me.

Clara
Redeemed Junk and Stuff

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love the soft muted color. Nicely done!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

great job Revi!! so cool what you did! so watered down latex paint? ...you are giving me ideas...and you know that's dangerous :) Blessings on this new chapter in your life

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh wow!
I love it... I can tell that you're excited to get moving on with the redecorating and revamping your home for you. I wish I could say that I was happy to be an empty nester... I was not.
I wish I could also say...I'll just paint my settee and chair... but no. It needs re-upholstery.
We had temps in the upper 70's for a high today and it drizzled all day... I loved it!
Hope you had good weather today...and enjoyed your time getting to work on your house.
- Pat

Jan said...

What a handsome doggy. Wonder if you'll miss him (I would, sigh). The sofa looks fabulous. Visiting from The Dedicated House where you posted this project. Just wondering if you did any research into how well painted upholstery holds up to wear? I have a well-loved but old wing chair in my bedroom that could use a good coat of paint, but I'm chicken to do it.

Trisha said...

Looks great, I never thought of painting the fabric on upholstered furniture. I just usually recover it. That's something new for me to try. Have a Blessed week, Trisha

Katie Mansfield said...

Visiting from a Stroll Through Life. I love that sofa. I'm in Texas too. Did you get some rain? Our nest has some coming and going after being empty. Enjoy your time and enjoy their visits. I learned to not fill up the house right away after they leave, because they come back and bring all of their stuff!!.
Katie
Let's Add Sprinkles

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Wow! Revi! TOTALLY transformed....this whole room looks so expensive and chic now. Great job on a budget!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I totally love it. I need to paint something, this turned out fabulous and I adore the settee. Such wonderful lines. Great job. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

Revi, Your sofa turned out great ... i love your wall collage also!
Francine

Woodside Park said...

Hi, Revi!!
The sofa looks fabulous!!! And I love, love, love the gallery wall of frames, mirrors, objects, etc. Soooo cool, my friend. Great collection.
xo,
Loi

must love junk said...

Revi, it turned out amazing! It looks like a high-end sofa! Good luck making your home more 'you'-exciting :)
Susan

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Your sofa looks amazing! I have been trying to get up the nerve to paint a chair I bought at a yard sale, but the fabric is velvet. I'm just not sure if the paint will make the texture too stiff. Did you add anything over the top of the paint? Does it feel sticky at all?

Unknown said...

Wow - what a fabulous transformation!!!
Empty nester here - going on 3 years and I still feel like my right arm is missing..............
XOXO

Ivy and Elephants said...

The sofa looks amazing, Revi! I love the detail and open arms. The paint is just gorgeous on it. Great job!
Happy decorating,
Patti

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Fabulous find! The detail work is so pretty! Painting is is a perfect way to hold you over until you can recover it and the color looks great!

Tea in the Library said...

Great eye for detail. Visiting from Share Your Cup

Nita Stacy said...

I featured your sofa today at Mod Mix Monday at Mod Vintage Life! Thanks for linking up!

http://www.modvintagelife.com

Debra@CommonGround said...

great job! love the look and the paint color!!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

It looks great! I love the design of this sofa and that wall behind it is fabulous. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

Hugs,
Deborah

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Wow Revi, what a hards night work can bring forth. Really looks amazing! Enjoy your quietness for a while and then make some noise! lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Anne said...

Beautiful transformation Revi!
xx
Anne