Sunday, May 19, 2013

Make Your Own Faux-Faux Antique Mirrors


Mirrors make great wall decor - especially groups of small ones in odd sizes and shapes. 



I also love to find a great little mirror with some of the silver flaking off in interesting ways. (I haven't ALWAYS liked this look, but I like it now.)




Mirrors also make interesting "filler" in wall collages and family portrait halls of fame.



Most of the small mirrors I find are in fairly plain frames. On the other hand, there are some truly beautiful photo frames that may be found in thrift shops for pennies! 

Often, I don't have photos to fit them. They are mostly designed to be used as tabletop frames instead of hanging ones, but a hanger can easily be added.


Recently, I found a batch of great small photo frames at a thrift store. I wanted to re-purpose them to use in wall collages. 








For the first Faux, I painted them with faux chalk paint (Plaster of Paris recipe.)

Next, I fauxed a splotchy antique mirror look by painting the glass on both sides with the Krylon Looking Glass paint.


I backed them with dark cardboard to show off the texture.
I think a similar look can be achieved by painting the back of the glass with gray spray paint. (I'll try that next!)


These mirrors are not for seeing yourself, but strictly for decorative purposes. (Sort of like the ceramic plates that say "not for food use.) :)


If you like a to decorate with mirrors, and you prefer a vintage look, try this! It's a really simple way to get a vintage look in a very short time.

Word for the Day:
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Linking With

Sunday

Thrifty Treasures
Sunday Show-off Link Party
Monday

Masterpiece Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Thrifty & Vintage Finds Link Party
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Scoop
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Wednesday

Wow Us Wednesday
Blissfully White Wednesday
What’s it Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wed
Cottage Style Party
What We Accomplished Wednesday
Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Time Travel Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Frugal Friday
Fabulously Creative Friday
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Weekend
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Get Schooled Saturday




20 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Ha ha! 'not for food use'... I have some plates like that! What a clever technique though. I may give this a try.
I think these would make a nice gift for someone that likes the vintage look, don't you?

have a great week, Pat

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Wow, your wall is really rich with pretty frames, mirrors and whatnot. Love the look!
Liz

Eclectic Red Barn said...

I love your frame vignettes on the wall. They look great. I will have to try the mirror antiquing.
I am a new GFC.
Have a wonderful week,
Bev
@ Eclectic Red Barn

Barbara Jean said...

love it. thanks so much!!

blessings
barb

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Revi, Thanks for sharing your mirror project at the Open House party. Great idea and I love your wall arrangements.
xx,
Sherry

Marsha said...

I think I have the blue frame. You certainly can make some neat changes to the frames. I painted a frame ( inspired by you) but it was ugly when I finished.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, these are gorgeous. I love the collages you make too. Don't forget to link up to Inspire ME, I love, love, love these. Hugs, Marty

bj said...

I really love this look....you did a great job.
Over from Lavender

Michele said...

Really neat idea. Perfect!

Michele
Pearl 13.1

chateau chic said...

Mirror do make great wall art, and I love yours. The frames you painted are so pretty!
Mary Alice

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love your mirrors, they are so much more interesting than just plain new ones! And that is it, I have GOT to get me some looking glass spray paint!

Kadee Willow said...

I have got to try that Krylon paint! So glad they came out with a way to create a vintage mirror without a bunch of steps to do so. Yours turned out so sweet and the repainting of the frame only enhances it more! Thanks for sharing!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

You have the best ideas! Would love for you to share at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Have a wonderful weekend!

Jody

Shabby soul said...

They look beautiful! Wonderful job!
Hugs
Silvia

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Love your wall collage of mirrors...great job!

farmhouse-story said...

revi, this is a fabulous idea! love the look and will try this-tfs! have a great holiday weekend!

foreverdecorating said...

Thanks, I will be trying this!

Unknown said...

Wow, wow, wow! These are amazing. thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us. I can hardly wait to try this. Blessings to you, Patti

Nita Stacy said...

I featured your mirrors today at Mod Mix Monday!

Tammy said...

So lovely! Thank you for sharing at the final Rustic Restorations Weekend linky party! You won! Check out my blog.