Saturday, July 28, 2012

Frugal Finds July 22-28, 2012


One of my favorite aspects of thrift store and
garage sale shopping is that you never know 
what you might find. I now have a vintage 
Statue of Liberty souvenir without the expense
of a taking trip to NYC.  It's an adventure - a cheap thrill.


It's a nostalgic trip down memory lane.
It's a practical trip to find items for projects.

I COULD find a way to use a groovy round glass globe
somewhere in my eclectic home, but I have other plans.

Those plans involve a bag of cement. 

I found a cool little industrial looking case.
I'm not sure yet what I'll stick inside it,
but it was a steal. So it came home with me.


Would I lie to you? No.


I found a pretty china bowl. 


This bit of translucent creaminess is
going to be listed for sale in my Etsy shop.


But this one I'll probably keep.


It probably held port wine cheese or something.
It's from Swiss Colony. Go figure.

I found a pretty, colorful basket 
for Hannah's Bo Ho apartment.


She doesn't love objets d'art 
quite as much as I do. 


Sometimes I wish I were more like her.
Other times I wish she were more like me!

I'm on the fence about this one.
I COULD keep it, because those
little corn-shaped pieces of corn bread
are just so darn charming.


And I do like charming. 
But, I think I'm past that. 
I've been there and done that.
Now, I take a more straight-forward
approach to my cooking.


I want it to taste good and look good.
But it doesn't have to be charming.
It can be pretty plain. I like plain, too.

And I can spend all my time and energy for charming
on something like a chair. Or something that's not 
eaten in a nano second. Because I make
really good cornbread. Sweet cornbread.

And it gets eaten quickly. 
Whether it's in the form of a muffin
or a wedge from baking in a cast iron skillet. 

All good bread should be eaten quickly.
So I need to make it quickly, too.
It's settled. It's going in my Etsy, too.

So, here you go helping me make up
my mind again about something. 
I really  like that about you. Thanks!

You're amazing. 
And I mean that with all my heart.

Word for the Day:
Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life
whoever comes to me shall not hunger, 
and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

Linking With

Sunday

Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Sister Sunday
Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Masterpiece Monday
The More the Merrier Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cowgirl Up!
Tuesday’s Treasures
Be Inspired
Twice Owned Tuesday
Wednesday

Share the Love Wednesday
Penny Pinching Party
What’s it Wednesday
Show Me What Ya Got
Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Thursday Favorite Things
Time Travel Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
thrift’n on a thursday
Home and Garden Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Live Laugh Linky
Friday

Potpourri Friday
Inspiration Friday
Free For All Friday
Spread the Love
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Get Schooled Saturday

9 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Hi! you found some neat treasures... the metallic case is interesting. Would love to see what you do with that. It reminds me of James Bond, or Maxwell Smart...he he he!
I like the pretty bowl. I love the corn muffin pan. I have one. I like making corn bread; charming. LOL !!!

have a great weekend, stay cool there. Pat

thistlewoodfarm said...

Revi,

I love all your finds! That metal case is so cute....and I agree about the corn shaped corn bread. It would make a great picture for the blog.....LOL!

blessings,
karianne

Anne said...

Revi,
Great thrift finds!Love that old corn bread pan.
xx
Anne

Lucy May said...

Oh!!!! That corn bread cast iron would make a great colored pencil tray in an art/craft room! Maybe buttons or beads! I am like you....way past charming for the intended purpose something was made for!

Thanks for stopping in at Lucy's Lampshade today! I will follow you back!

Marsha said...

I'm so wishing I had bought a Statue of Liberty item of some type when we were there in November. Don't ask me why.
Now about your cornbread. I don't make good cornbread, but I really wish I could. I'll have to tell you about the yard stick that I judge my cornbread by some day.
Marsha

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

I like plain too. But lately I'm also being drawn toward silver and the fanciness of it. Go figure that. I've seen a few of those metal cases around lately but I never did see one for $0.50. Nice snag! I'm interested in seeing how the concrete and light fixture are going to come together!
Liz

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I agree part of the fun is never knowing what you will find!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Great thrifting finds. don't you just love it! Its so much fun to go out there with the anticipation of what you may find! I bought those corn molds, and have never used, I am also beyond that. But I did sell them in my shop! So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

Miss Kitty said...

Such fun finds! Hey, when my first husband left me for someone else, I wanted to hit him in the head with the cast iron cornbread mold just like the one you have pictured. It was his mother's and I made sure that heavy seldom used item left with him. They are very cute...I'm sure you will find it a happy home. I saw your post over at "Cowgirl Up!"