Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Found-Object Finials - Fun, fun, fun!


The moment I saw this 1970's lamp at Julie's garage sale, I knew I wanted to do something with it. 

The painted metal was all flaky, and not in a good way, so it needed paint or stripper or something. I was not sure just what at first.


I loved the details, and I knew it could be SOMETHING.
Even though its life as a lamp was just a memory, this piece had a future!


On Pinterest, I had seen some found object finials done by another blogger. I imagined this lamp might make a lovely finial. I also considered reworking it as a lamp, but it is taller than I usually prefer my lamps to be.


I removed the "gas light" key to save and use in a future lamp, and that necessitated finding other components to fill in the space. 

If you've ever re-wired a lamp, you'll remember the components are held together by an internal rod with screw threads on either end. 

I could have found a shorter internal rod, but I chose to keep the original one and try to find other components to complete the finial.That proved to be more difficult than I imagined it would be. Either the hole in an object was too small for the rod to slip through it, or it was too large. 

I have been collecting an assortment of odd wood pieces and components when I find them in thrift stores. 



I was happy to be able to use some of them! These wooden drapery finials were .50c each. I wish I'd bought more. When I went back to buy them, they had been snapped up already.


I added a little gray and some white plaster paint, and voila!


A drapery finial and an ugly candlestick came together pretty well to make a fairly sweet-looking finial. The whole is greater than sum of the parts. Symbiotic relationships are just the best! 



This "finial" didn't even require glue - the drapery finial just sits there nicely, balanced on the candlestick. Theoretically, the candlestick is still a candlestick, so I can use it as one if I ever change my mind. 


The other large finial on the back, left side is actually a large piece of turned wood I bought from neighbors in Houston years ago. It was a gift from a friend who loved to do turned wood. 

I have used it as a candlestick, a small table (with a plate on top), and now it simply has a smaller garage sale finial sitting on top of it, not even glued down. 

Just like the smallest finial, it can still be used for a candlestick or small table. Hmmm. I may have a problem here...How is that for non-committal? 


I still need to find just the perfect little something to top off the lamp finial - a tiny finial that will fit where the nut tightens all the components together. Everything I have tried so far is too large. 

Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to keep trolling the thrift stores in search of something!


Word for the Day:
Haggai 2:9
The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former, says the Lord of hosts. And in this place I will give peace, declares the Lord of hosts.’”

Possibly Linking With

Sunday

Sunday Show-off Link Party
Silver Pennies Sundays
Monday

Masterpiece Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Give Me the Goods Monday
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Scoop
The Scoop
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Inspiration Exchange Linky Party
Wednesday

Wow Us Wednesday
Blissfully White Wednesday
What’s it Wednesday
Cottage Style Party
Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Time Travel Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Grey Dey Thursdey
Be Inspired
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Frugal Friday
Fabulously Creative Friday
Friday’s Five Features
Weekend
Saturday

Party Junk
Get Schooled Saturday


9 comments:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Wow, that made a great finial. I myself love finials, but I only have
3 small ones. These all looked great on your fireplace.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings, Nellie

farmhouse-story said...

these are so clever, revi! love them! happy weekend!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

This is one of the colest ideas. Totally re-transformed. Very unique and grouping looks great by the fireplace

ornate splendor said...

Hi Revi! What a great idea! Love how you put this look together with found pieces. Well done! Catherine

Sarah said...

Love it! What a great idea! I am a new follower and would love if you could follow back.http://churchstreetdesigns.blogspot.com/

Jeannie Marie said...

I love what you did with them and how you used it in your decorating! Gorgeous!

Homeroad said...

I love them! Great idea and write up my alley... I love to revamp lamps!
Susan

Danielle said...

They look lovely. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

Kim said...

I have the perfect finial for you! Seriously, It has a screw and all and I bet it would fit!! It would go perfectly with the lamp, which is ingenius BTW!

email me and I'll mail it to you.

Kim@reposhture