Sunday, December 9, 2012

White Christmas Vignettes - Living Room Part 1


White Christmas...a dream I have had for years...

We do get to enjoy real white Christmas here. Last year, and the year before were both white. Outside.


(OK, this was February, but it looked like this at Christmas, too, only with some decorations...)

This is how it looks after Christmas and fall. I'm so used to great decor - garland on the windows and the arch, lights, etc. It looks naked. Any ideas for this year, folks?
Let's do something pretty for January!

But, I digress. Back to last year. Last year, inside it was green. With yellow walls. 


The multi-hued green theme I thought I wanted to decorate with, since I'm nothing if not practical. And I have a
fairly new slate green sofa from Sofa Mart in the den.


The practical me thought I could use it in the living room, mix all shades of green, yada yada. It may have worked, except it was not what I really wanted in my heart of hearts.

In my heart of hearts. I wanted white. I've wanted white before, and I have always loved the look. The practical me just thought it was impractical.

So this year, I've been painting lots of things white - all shades of white.


I've been buying cheap drop cloths and stashing them away. I've painted some yellow walls a lovely shade of greige.

And this year, I'm DOIN' the White Christmas thing! (Whites with mixed metals and greenery.)

Here's a peek at part of the living room:


This is on the primitive shelf on the left side of the mantel. I was arranging things when I saw the old book, and couldn't pass up a chance to use it in this vignette!

The bottle brush trees are new/thrift finds - 10c each! The larger ones are from Hobby Lobby. I've had them for 10 years or so.I wrapped the bottoms in burlap - trimmings from my burlap ribbon wreaths. It looks nicer than brown plastic.


This is the top of the shelf on the left side. I've been collecting finials this year, too. All are from thrift stores and garage sales, except the mercury glass ones. They were 75 percent off - about $7 each - at a furniture store.

The silver plate champagne bucket was a neighborhood garage sale find - $1.50.

Likewise, on the right side, I used a finial and greenery arrangement.


It is designed using asymmetrical symmetry. 
Read more about that kind of stuff HERE.

Below that shelf, I used the silver tea service from my friend Celeste, and a larger wooden house. Gold and white frames occupy the vertical space. More bottle brush and small Hobby Lobby trees.


Here's how it looks from across the room, though this photo was taken a few tweaks ago!


You can see my mantel in detail HERE.

Below the silver tea service is a footed bowl full of a mix of gold glass ornaments found for .25c per box of 12 this year.


I also used them in the fire box below the mantel. 


Rounding the corner toward the front window, is another faux tree on a white table.


The table at the front window has a sweet little vignette.


The crackled glass lamp sits next to a stack of deconstructed books. A tarnished silver plate vessel with faux greenery adds a bit of seasonal charm. 

But the sweetest thing in this vignette is the photo of two little shepherd boys...


Ethan and Mason, aged 5 and 3, were on their way to VBS a few years ago. 

I printed the photo in sepia recently. It's held upright by a vintage metal flower frog sitting on top of some mystery wire structure picked up for literally pennies at a thrift store. 

I can't wait to show you more!

Word for the Day:
Luke 2:8-14
And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Linking With

Sunday

Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Sunday Show-off Link Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Sister Sunday
Thrifty Treasures


Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Revival Monday
Masterpiece Monday
The More the Merrier Monday
Manic Monday
Just a party with my peeps!
Make it Pretty Monday
Monday Marketplace

Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cowgirl Up!
Cowgirl Up!
Cowgirl Up!
All Star Block Party
Tuesday’s Treasures
Be Inspired
Twice Owned Tuesday

Wednesday

Blissfully White Wednesday
Share the Love Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wed
Piece of Work Wednesday
Restored it Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Penny Pinching Party
What’s it Wednesday



Thursday

Under $100 Link Party
Transformation Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Share Awesomeness Thursday
Time Travel Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Home and Garden Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Live Laugh Linky
Doin’ It Yourself
Thursday Favorite Things
Suzy's House Party


Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Potpourri Friday
Furniture Feature Friday
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Inspiration Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Free For All Friday
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Air Your Laundry
Furniture Friday
Fridays on Remodelaholic
Fabulously Creative Friday
Spread the Love
Frugalicious Friday
Delicately Constructed Friday
Flaunt it Friday
http://vintageinteriorblogs.blogspot.com/
Weekend
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Get Schooled Saturday
Show and Tell Saturday


4 comments:

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Wow! It's all come together so well! I especially love the window vignette; that picture tops it off perfectly. How cute! It's so fun seeing your vision being unveiled. You are getting it done, and with stye.

Congratulations on a beautiful outcome to all of that hard work.
Liz

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

It looks fabulous Revi!! That room has evolved so much, I love the neutrals, the trunk and the tarnished silver. My fave pic is the whole room shot :D

Linsey

Tammy said...

Love it. Your hard work paid off! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

Marsha said...

I love the picture of your boys. So sweet!