Thursday, March 8, 2012

White on White - What's YOUR Style?

Note: All the photos used below are from Pinterest.com



White on white decor: We LOVE it! While all-white has long been a classic, we're seeing more and more white spaces recently. 


What makes an all white room successful? There seem to be a couple of different schools of thought.



Have you ever considered that white has just as much personality as strong color?

Whether it's sleek and modern, shabby chic and vintage, or classic and traditional, it's as popular as a big ironstone bowl of vanilla ice cream! White is extremely versatile. It can be homey, elegant, classic, modern, chic, or charming. 

 As I perused my pin boards, I noticed two distinct looks:
  • Some looks are totally white - without much variety in tone, value or texture. 
  • Some looks are mixes of whites - bright snow white, cream, beige, taupe or gray. There is often a mix of warm and cool tones, and a wide variety of textures.

The papers below illustrate whites with cooler and warmer tones, darker and lighter values.
.

Here's an example of using warmer and cooler whites in textiles:



Below are some examples of white rooms where little contrast in tones or values is used. This type of white space is generally contemporary, or classic in style, somewhat minimalist. The use of decorative items is deliberate and thoughtful. Less is more. When the spaces are traditional, they sometimes have shaker elements, clean lines, solid, natural fabrics like cotton, linen and wool.  Pattern is used sparingly. The effect is ultra-clean and serene.










Below are some examples of spaces where a variety of whites are used. Generally, these kinds of spaces have a wide variety of textures, tones and values. The effect is rich and warm, working very well in eclectic, cottage-style, vintage and industrial spaces.








So, which style of white space do you prefer? 
Do you get misty-eyed over a soft, subtle minimal white space? 
or do you prefer a textural, multi-tonal space with a variety of eclectic furnishings and objects?

As for me - I prefer the variety of values, tones and textures and lots of funky stuff!

Word for the Day:


He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white
I will never blot out his name from the book of life, 
but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

Just another good reason to get used to white NOW...

-Revi

Linking With

Sunday

Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Monday

Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Revival Monday
Tuesday

Cowgirl Up
Wednesday

White Wednesday
Share the Love Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
What’s it Wednesday
Thursday

Thursday Favorite Things
Home and Garden Thursday
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Potpourri Party
Inspiration Friday




13 comments:

Angie @ Knick of Time said...

Love all the white images you shared, Revi and especially the verse! We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen in white and I never realized how many decisions we'd need to make about what kind of white!

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time

I hope you'll come by and visit the party this week!

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Beautiful post! I think I prefer the different tones of white too. Love the scripture you posted. Thanks for sharing!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I love the white on white now, but for years I hated monochrome anything. I personally am shocked I love it now, but a girl can change her mind, right?

thistlewoodfarm said...

Let me think.....I think I prefer....ummmm....white :) Great post. So much inspiration here.

blessings,
karianne

outjunking said...

Different tones of white, but all of them chippy.

designchic said...

Gorgeous whites...love all of the warm tones and different textures...fabulous!!

Ricki Treleaven said...

I like the textural whites best, I think..but I love all things white!

xo,
Ricki Jill

farmhouse-story said...

oh, i love it all! great pics!

Sandy said...

For the past year I've
been turning everything
in my home, White.
Although my family thinks
I've lost my mind, I've
done it and tossed in some
color accessories..
I LOVE it..
nice post
Sandy

Angie said...

I love all the white~great pics! Found you at the Cowgirl Up party today and I am a new follower~Angie

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

I love whites but with 2 small kids and a black lab that sheds like a beast I've had to compromise with dark neutrals, especially on upholstered stuff.

♥Linsey

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Beautiful!
... love different shades of whites.
Greetings from Australia♥

All Things Chic 2 said...

Love this post on "White" , also love how you spoke about the scripture!!!Wise...Your newest follower , I invite you into my white world too!!! Blessings LOri