Wednesday, September 14, 2011

After Photos - the Miracle of White



Today, I realized again for the thousandth time just how much of a miracle a fresh coat of paint is. Few other changes have so much impact, especially for the amount of effort and expense required. And when that paint happens to be white...




White is associated with cleanliness, purity, holiness and simplicity. It can be basic and complex at the same time. White is lovely and restful. If you use a variety of whites - cool and warm, dark and light - and a variety of textures - shiny, matte, rough, chippy, weathered, soft, smooth, translucent - an all-white environment will never be boring! 




White allows our eyes to focus on shape, light and shadow. We can see an object without distractions. White reveals details that would ordinarily go unnoticed, yet it can be very forgiving. White slipcovers can be bleached relentlessly. White tile can be scrubbed mercilessly. 




If you look at my previous post, you'll see just how much beauty you can add by spraying or brushing on a coat or two of white paint. The items are made more attractive, more valuable and are more cohesive as a collection than they were before. 




See the bird above? It was chipped brown realistic-ish paint. Now, it's pristine with a couple of coats of Rustoleum gloss white spray paint. The same goes for the little vintage shiny gold 1950's picture frame behind it. 




This little tool box was fine covered in brown stain, but becomes instantly more charming in white. The same goes for the little footed wooden bowl in at the top of the page.




Remember the dark forest green thing that may have been a mirror? It has a new incarnation as a chalkboard with a few coats of Rustoleum Chalk Board Paint and a white frame. 






The lamp pictured here was a project from a previous post that you may recognize. It was formerly a tacky brass thing. Cassie from Primitive & Proper said, "SO much cuter! i think i would have passed that lamp up before!" after it was sprayed white and got a new shade.




A new coat of paint in any color is a refreshing change, but in my humble opinion, white is like a little miracle in a can. 


Word of the Day:


Revelation 7:9

The Great Multitude in White Robes ] 


After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.


May we all meet each other there on that day!


-Revi





13 comments:

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

White ...my favorite color!

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

I agree with you. White does make things more charming. I find that the things I have that are white make a room warmer too. Even a stark white can be warmed with other shades of whites added to it. Love your post today:)
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

Elegant Economies said...

Hi Revi, Love your post! I spray paint on just about anything that doesn't move! Your Word for the day reminds me of a song we sing during worship. "There is a Day" by PhattFish. I will try to give you the link from YouTube. Have a great day, Audrey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dPJQ8Jve1E&feature=related

Revi said...

Hi Audrey, Debra and Francine, and thanks for dropping by! This is one of my favorite things about blogging so far - almost a month now! We have the opportunity to communicate with like-minded people! Love it. Thanks Audrey for the link to the worship song. I'm going to listen now! I love it when songs use scripture as lyrics - it is easy to remember that way.

Blessings,
-Revi

outjunking said...

Revi,
Is that an old farm table under all that great white. I need to see more I think. Am I pushy or what, sorry! I like a farm table with a little chippy paint.
Lisa

Revi said...

Hey Lisa!
That table is actually something I picked up on the curb over 20 years ago! It is not a farm table, but one of those work tables that had an enamel top and a drawer in it. The top was pretty chipped, so I left it. Later, I wished I had not. I made a top out of 1 x 6 boards, but it's kinda rickety! I have used it as a computer table, but it's sort of in transition now! I kept the chippy painted base, and it may end up in my future art & project room.
I do plan on posting more of my home, but not one room in it is complete yet, and I'm in a major transition mode where I'm moving furniture from different rooms,changing colors and decor, window treatments and the works! It will all begin to be completed after my son and his dog move, hopefully soon.
And, I NEED a little push sometimes, so keep asking!
-Revi

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

White has a gentle feel. Love your word of the day :)

Revi said...

Hi Rosemary,
Thanks for stopping in. I just got back from your blog a little while ago, and I LOVE your chandelier makeover and your gessoed mirrors. I agree about white.
Blessings,
-Revi

farmhouse-story said...

i'm loving the awesome white table that the chalkboard is sitting on, revi:) and the chalkboard turned out lovely...its a project i want to try soon. have a great weekend:)

Town and Country Gals said...

Revi,
There isn't much a coat of paint doesn't help, especially white paint! All of your things turned out lovely, I have picked up a lot of old brass lamps with great shapes and spray painted them all and now they are fabulous. Considering most of them were under $5.00, usually only $2,and with a new shade, how can you beat that!
Rebecca

Revi said...

Hi Lynn,
Thanks! You're always so encouraging, and I appreciate you. The chalkboard project is EASY. I just bought the paint, and applied several coats with a sponge roller. (Cutting in the edges with a smallish brush, since this was a one-piece thing.) I didn't write on it, because it says to let the piece cure for several days before writing on it. (Plus, I need to buy some chalk!) The table it's sitting on was a curbside find years ago. :)
Blessings,
-Revi

Revi said...

Hi Rebecca!
Thanks for your kind words, and girl, we're on the same page!
I've been really into the old lamp redos lately. This weekend I'm working on one I hope to post tomorrow, with an experimental drum shade. Say a little prayer for me that it goes like I imagine! Thanks for stopping by,
-Revi

Anonymous said...

Hi Revi,
Found your comment on colors for my blog, I will try your suggestion, your blog is very soothing, pretty, thanks for your help, Celeste, The Victorian Tailor