Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Summer Mantel


I've been working in my Industrial Elegant Cottage style Living room, and
I think I've pretty much posted on every piece of furniture and accessory in it!

One noticeable omission was a mantel scape. It was coming together,
but still not quite there. Until today...


of course, it may still change. My house has a tendency to do that.

Except for one little bird, a birthday present from June, and 
greenery on half price at Hobby Lobby used for making topiaries,
it is all from thrift stores, garage sales, or it was found for free.


A bird cage on a gilded metal candlestick, a Restoration Hardware vase, vintage books and my favorite iron bird from June are on the left side. Would you paint the gilded candle holder?
I have thought it might look better sprayed white instead of gold. 


Here is my second attempt at a topiary!
A footed iron planter holds it. I carved an irregular 
oval of floral foam. I impaled it with a stick from 
my back yard, and cut apart a bush to add the greenery.

Behind the topiary is a garage sale gilded frame painted white,
and two thrift store gilded candlesticks are in front of the frame.


Next, a very shabby gilded frame I found in the garage of a former house. 
I'm still debating painting it. I like shabby, but it's REALLY shabby.
Let me know your thoughts about this one, too. Pant or no?



 Just past the frames are more vintage books from thrift stores,
and a recently thrifted bird cage from Goodwill.


On the far right side of the mantel is my first attempt
at making a natural looking topiary. It will be revised for sure!
But I do like the softness and green it brings to the mantel.


Do you realize how difficult it is to take photos of a mirrored mantel? 
I had to take angle photos so I wouldn't be there holding the camera! 

I would like to add something industrial, but I'm not sure what. 
If I find something, you can be sure it will change before fall!

Don't forget to weigh in on the candle stick and the frame...
I value your opinions and your good taste!

Before fall, I hope to finish framing the mirror. If that happens,
you can be sure I'll post it!

Word for the Day:

Psalm 50:11
I know all the birds of the hills, 
and all that moves in the field is mine.

Linking With

Sunday

Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Restyled Sundays
Sister Sunday
Just something I whipped up
Creative Me Link Up
Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Making the World Cuter Monday
Motivate Me Monday 
Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Just a party with my peeps!
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cowgirl Up!
Be Inspired
Twice Owned Tuesday
Wednesday

White Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wed
Wow Us Wednesday
Penny Pinching Party
What’s it Wednesday
Would You Buy It Wednesday
Show Me What Ya Got
Thursday

Under $100 Link Party
Suzy's House Party
Transformation Thursday
Share Awesomeness Thursday
Thrifty Thursday
Thursday Favorite Things
Time Travel Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
thrift’n on a thursday
Home and Garden Thursday
Doin’ It Yourself
Share Your Cup Thursday
Live Laugh Linky
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Fridays on Remodelaholic
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Frugalicious Friday
Inspiration Friday
Flaunt it Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Free For All Friday
Spread the Love
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Delicately Constructed Friday
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Get Schooled Saturday
Show and Tell Saturday

12 comments:

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Well, this is so cool. You have done it up right! I'm big on leaving the frame as is and painting the candlesticks, but then maybe letting some of the gold show through. I saw somebody somewhere had done it and it was really so beautiful. I wish I could remember where so I could tell you.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful ideas. The topiaries turned out so sweet. They add that needed sense of life and green to the area.

I hope you have a truly meaningful Independence Day today!
Liz

must love junk said...

I agree to leaving the frame-to me, the shabbier, the better! Adds character! The candlesticks would be pretty painted, but they also go as is...everything looks gorgeous!
Susan

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Oh, it is all so pretty! You have done a fantastic job! Saw you over at Primp. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-4.html Wishing you a grand 4th! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Michele said...

Hi Revi ~~ Your mantel is beautiful, it has so many beautiful items that you have displayed so nicely, I really was touched by your bible verse Psalm 50:11, ~~ Thank you ~ and thank you for visiting my blog

God Bless You Revi~
Michele
Pearl 13.1

bobbie said...

I'm with Liz on both leaving the frame as is, and white over the gilding!!

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

It looks fabulous!
Hope you have a great day.
xo,Tina

Polly said...

so pretty! thanks for coming by and following Georgie Emerson! Glad to connect with you Revi!

Polly

Ivy and Elephants said...

Everything is just perfection for me, I wouldn't change a thing. I have such a weakness for bird cages! But I know sooner or later, you will be changing things and it will be even more incredible!
Happy 4th of July!
Hugs,
Patti

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Revi, your mantel looks great!
I love those frames just like they are, you already know I'm a fan of shabby look...
Thanks for your visit, your blog is wonderful, I will come back.
Besos from Argentina, Silvina

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your vignette. You mantel looks so pretty. I think the topiaries are beautiful, very well done. I really like the frame also. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

Hi Revi,
I think everything looks wonderful! It is always nice to change things around for summer. Thank you so much for your kind words. You are very talented:)!
Jen

Suzanne said...

Love your mantel, especially the pretty old frames. You've done a great job! I'm your newest follower, btw.