Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Winterizing - Transitioning After Christmas


For some of us who love everything about the Christmas Season - from the reason for the season, to the decor, the food, the gatherings, the music...January can be a bit deflating. 

We've just celebrated the arrival of the Light of the World! Maybe the suddenly empty spaces shouldn't make us feel blah, but they do. 




After enjoying fall decor since September or October, and Christmas Decor since after Thanksgiving, things can look a tad bleak. For some reason, we don't want to put it back like it was. We need something fresh and different.



For me, a cold-weather-lover, I choose to celebrate winter!
I love the crisp air, snow (except for the driving on it part), architectural look of naked trees, mono-chromatic neutral landscapes of dried grasses...it's another form of beauty.



When I dismantled my living room Christmas decor, I kept
some branches from outside. I reconfigured some of the items on the mantel, and settled on a symmetrical arrangement.



The pine cones stayed, as did some of the mercury glass.
Other pieces were put away, replaced by bronze and rusty iron objects and deer antlers.



This will probably last until early spring fever hits!



But then again, I seem to have developed a pattern of tweaking my mantels a few times before they feel right.

Winter Mantel:



Christmas Mantel:

Fall Mantel:

Summer Mantel:

A few more vignettes around the living room:

Vintage Steamer Trunk Coffee Table:

A peek inside the gold filigree box I got for High School graduation from a sweet auntie:



Inside: A vintage watch mechanism, a few quartz crystals, a vintage candy making mold, and some tokens from past Easter services.

A shelf vignette:

A small vintage key added to the industrial art piece/French frame vignette:

Small changes.
Now:

Christmas:

Late Summer/Fall:

The firebox:

I would love ideas to transition the OUTSIDE of my house. It looks really blah...please let me know if you are decorating to transition into spring, too!

Word for the Day:
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

1 To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:


2 A time to be born,
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;

3 A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;

4 A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;

7 A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;

8 A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace.

Potentially Linking With:

Sunday

Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Sunday Show-off Link Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Just a party with my peeps!
Make it Pretty Monday
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cowgirl Up!
Cowgirl Up!
All Star Block Party
Tuesday’s Treasures
Be Inspired
Twice Owned Tuesday
Wednesday

Blissfully White Wednesday
Share the Love Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wed
Wow Us Wednesday
Penny Pinching Party
What’s it Wednesday

Thursday

Under $100 Link Party
Transformation Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Share Awesomeness Thursday
Time Travel Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Home and Garden Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Thursday Favorite Things
Suzy's House Party
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Inspiration Friday
Free For All Friday
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Fabulously Creative Friday
Frugalicious Friday
Delicately Constructed Friday
Flaunt it Friday
Weekend
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Get Schooled Saturday
Show and Tell Saturday


14 comments:

Jeannie and Linda said...

Hello Revi, I like you love the winter trees and landscapes, I was admiring some knarled tree limbs just today. And like you I couldn't get rid of my tree branches either. Your mantle looks lovely.
Jeannie

Unknown said...

Well...love the mantle for winter. I love the antler...join me to check out my last post on my mantle and my winter buffet decor. Thanx for sharing. Tiffany

sweet violets said...

A gal after my own heart!!! I love winter!!! I embrace it heartily...and also love the bare trees and shrubs, they seem so lighthearted not to be burdened with heavy leaves.....and now you can see all the nests and hives!!! Beautiful mantel and vignettes by the way....

Kimber from Stilettos In The Mud said...

Just lovely!
Kimber @ Stilettos In The Mud

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Very pretty! Your collections are displayed beautifully together!

Mom E. said...

So pretty! I like to keep winter in my home after Christmas too! Fun pictures!
Hearts,
Betsy

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

I really like your mantel with the rustic elements and books. Pinned :) Followed from Funky Junk.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

The changes look lovely! I have one of those cast iron birds like you. Have a great new year Revi!

Kim said...

Love al of the mantels and will be pinning them all for inspiration. I would take the branch idea and spray paint them white and fill up some outdoor tall pots with them and add some evergreen branches to fill in and then you can change them out for some ivy or other trailing vine when it is spring. happy Decorating!
Kim@Reposhture

Ivy and Elephants said...

You have become the master of the vignette! Everything looks amazing, I love it all!
Hugs,
Patti

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

All your wintery things look really lovely. I like the architectural look of winter branches, too. Thanks for sharing your pretty things!

Jeanette @ Creating A Life

Tammy said...

I love all your mantels! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Revi, I adore your Winter mantel! I too love the beautiful white of Winter. I am however, a warm weather kind of gal. It's been extremely cold here this year and I'm ready for it to start warming up. You certainly know how to put together a beautiful vignette. All of you mantels prove it! That architectural piece is fabulous! Love it! I just changed my Winter decor to Valentines today. Not happy with my mantel. Needs tweaking. Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love all of your winter "vignettes". So pretty. I really like the mantel and the way you layer things. Hugs, Marty