Sunday, January 6, 2013

Dining Room - Before and After Details


Recently, I showed you my dining room reveal, which was painted and updated in December. 


Like every room in my home, this one is not one hundred percent finished - I still have 10 chairs to paint or stain! And there's the after Christmas tweaking still to do.


Today, I'd like to show you several of the small projects that went into the room - before and after photos. Most everything in the room, except for the tables and hutch, is either from a thrift store, free, or I made it myself. 


A few of the decorative items were purchased new, but most were found and revised with paint and such.

The two iron and wood pieces on either side of the doorway to the den were purchased at a garage sale. I bought 4 of them for $5. They looked like this:


A coat of faux chalk paint made with plaster of Paris, a little distressing, and they add a bit of symmetry to the room.


The lamps I have had for over 10 years, and they came with traditional shades with beads on them. The crackle finish and the color are good, so I just wanted to update them with a new shade. 


I found these at Walmart. I bought one for $7 (when I went back to get another, they'd gone up to $10. You snooze, you lose.) 

I liked the drum shape, but the color was all wrong. So, I thought I might cover them with fabric. But, I was afraid the bold pattern would show through, so I decided to prime them with Rustoleum spray gray primer first. 


It looked almost like damask - tone on tone, shinier and matte. I liked it, so I didn't bother with fabric. I used the shade for a while, until I found the same shade, in a different pattern that matched my living room as is. I put the shade away to use on another lamp. In December, I tried the shade with the buffet lamp I had, and the scale was good. The lamps are made for the new style lamp - the harp sits under the bulb. The lamp has a traditional harp with a finial. I wanted to use the finial, so I decided to try the shade upside down. It worked! I've seen similar shades, so I decided it would work in a pinch. But, I wanted a different look - so I decided to see what a coat of Champagne Gold would look like on top of the gray primer. It was just the look I wanted, and the damask look was enhanced!  


Insides of the shades were sprayed with gold paint, too. 
Everything in the photo above was purchased at a thrift store, except the board the shelf is made from, and the lamp, which is over 10 years old from Dollar General.
The wire basket was found at a thrift store, looking like this:


The only thing needed was to cut the rickety bamboo off!

On the gallery wall, there are many revised items. The large item was a Christmas gift years ago. The medium sized gold frame to the right of it was purchased for a few dollars at Ross. Just to the right of that, inside a white frame, is a book mark from Ephesus - a gift from June and Robert from their recent trip there.


All other items were thrifted. I'll just show before and after photos of revised things - no words needed.














On the opposite wall - the hutch and cubby have several revised items as well.













Though there are still more mini updates, this post is pretty full, and it's getting late! You get the ideas: color unifies and someone else's junk might be your fabulous find!

Word for the Day:
John 1:30
This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.’


Linking With

Sunday

Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Sunday Show-off Link Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Thrifty Treasures
Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Just a party with my peeps!
Make it Pretty Monday
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cowgirl Up!
Cowgirl Up!
All Star Block Party
Tuesday’s Treasures
Be Inspired
Twice Owned Tuesday
Wednesday

Blissfully White Wednesday
Share the Love Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wed
Wow Us Wednesday
Penny Pinching Party
What’s it Wednesday

Thursday

Under $100 Link Party
Transformation Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Share Awesomeness Thursday
Time Travel Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Home and Garden Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Thursday Favorite Things
Suzy's House Party
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Inspiration Friday
Free For All Friday
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Fabulously Creative Friday
Frugalicious Friday
Delicately Constructed Friday
Flaunt it Friday
Weekend
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Get Schooled Saturday
Show and Tell Saturday




7 comments:

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Great revisions! I love that little covered bowl you gave polka dots, and that green cabinet turned white got quite a transformation. That's also pretty cool how the lamp shade turned out looking like damask. Great work. Here's to another year of positive changes.
Liz

Crystelle Boutique said...

Oh my! All of it is amazing! You have incredible taste and should definitely be in a magazine! such inspiration. Maybe my house will grow up to look like yours someday... Who knows....?!

hugs x
Crystelle

Anonymous said...

Wow, so much work, you did a beautiful job!

Leslie said...

I have a iron / wood piece just like that in my diningroom too. I love all of your decor. Happy new year.

Mom E. said...

I love how your lampshade turned out! It is fun to take a risk and have it turn out to be the exact feel you wanted. I love how you have redone so many items...they are gorgeous!
Hearts to you,
Betsy

Denise Marie said...

Patience pays off..hard work too.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Revi, you know how to work magic with thrift items. I love all of the white in your dining room. The cubby is my fav! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
hugs,
Jann