Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Unfinished Business


I debated whether or not to post this...
it's every bit unfinished business.

I have a painting in progress. ALMOST finished.
The edges are painted, so I won't need to frame it.


It will go on this wall opposite the fireplace.
For now, it's just propped on the old chest.


I wanted something large and modern, 
neutral and textural, with industrial elements.

I wanted to include elements like 
this piece of copper braided wire, which was 
a gift from my friend Michael decades ago. 
Hi, Michael. :)


I wanted elements like this piece of found steel, 
which is attached with used vintage upholstery tacks.


I wanted elements like this old
erector set piece:



I was thinking about creating such a painting...
and then I realized I already had it. 

But it was painted in very bold colors.
I had intended to paint over it for years. 
Until yesterday, it was leaning against the wall 
with a stack of more old work. I sometimes 
recycle old canvases of my own work. 

I nabbed it and grabbed a brush and
a pot of white paint and went to work.


I covered much of the canvas in creamy off-white,
and left some small bits of color in certain spots.
I love it when you find it in the middle of
a very neutral piece of work. It's like a surprise
you won't find unless you look very closely.




I kept some details I liked, and got rid of others.

It's altogether different - simpler. Just what I
was going for. Though, I'm not sure it's quite finished.


I may add one more found object focal point
in the center...since I removed one from
it before I began repainting. It will be neutral.
Most likely, it will be rusty. I'll show you later
when I have better light. And when I finish
one more thing...the $5 French chair.


Did you notice some of it has one coat
of French Linen ASCP? I just got it.
LOVE that color - perfectly greige.
It looks great with my lighter greige walls.




And since I like plain and simple, I'll probably just
repeat the drop cloth thing I have going on the cushion.


I also plan to try to recreate the look of the deconstructed
Martha Washington chair - after I got her undressed, 
I liked the way she looked. Instead of recovering her, I
left her naked in the living room. Poor girl. If I looked that
great in my undies, I'd walk around in the living room, too.


So there you have it; 
my current state of unfinished business.


I suppose on this earth, I will 
always have unfinished business. 

But the most important business 
in the world has been finished, 
and for that I am truly thankful. 


I'd love to hear your thoughts and
always welcome your suggestions.


Word for the Day:

When Jesus had received 
the sour wine, he said, 
It is finished,” 
and he bowed his head 
and gave up his spirit. 


Linking With

Sunday

Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Sister Sunday
Thrifty Treasures
Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Masterpiece Monday
Manic Monday
Just a party with my peeps!
Make it Pretty Monday
Tuesday

Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cowgirl Up!
All Star Block Party
Tuesday’s Treasures
Be Inspired
Twice Owned Tuesday
Market Your Biz
Wednesday

White Wednesday
Share the Love Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wed
Wow Us Wednesday
Penny Pinching Party
What’s it Wednesday
Thursday

Under $100 Link Party
All Star Block Party
Transformation Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Share Awesomeness Thursday
Home and Garden Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Live Laugh Linky
Doin’ It Yourself
Thrift Score Thursday
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Potpourri Friday
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Inspiration Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Frugalicious Friday
Flaunt it Friday
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Get Schooled Saturday
Show and Tell Saturday

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Praise Jesus that He finished His work here for us!! I love your painting, finished or not!! I have never been very good at the abstract thing...but I so wish I was! I am always drawn to it for some reason!! You are a true talent!! Keep painting Revi :)

Blessings - Sara

Gypsy Heart said...

HUGE gratitude for His "it is finished". I was thinking today about the unfinished things I have going, craft and DIY. I want to have family and friends in an updated state ~ and that's a daily reminder for me. :)

Your painting is beautiful! The chest I adore and the things on top of it are just perfect. The paint job on the chair is really nice! I don't believe I would be comfortable sitting in my living room in my undies...it would be considered Halloween for sure! ;-)

Thanks for sharing ~
xo
Pat

Honey at 2805 said...

Your painting is beautiful! I often paint over canvases too and it's often that you find wonderful surprises waiting for you! The only "art teacher" I ever had said you can repaint canvases over & over until they are so heavy you can no long lift them! ;)

Thank you for your inspiration words. Thank you also for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

Gayle said...

That's a great painting!! Love it!

Market Nine home said...

Love what you are doing with this vignette. Great elements!

Sheila said...

Wow, It doesn't look like unfinished business. It looks perfect to me if you are going for that old world meets France type of look. I am not usually an abstract art fan but I love all of these elements together. Great job!!

Tammy said...

Love the display! That old trunk is awesome! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

Donna Wilkes said...

I paint over and over old canvases. You have a great sense of negative space between the found objects. I think furniture running around in their undies is perfectly natural. I have gotten rather attached to an old chair waiting for some upholstery flashing her springs at me!

Full Circle Creations said...

It looks great! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

Holly

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh how I DO want to paint... I have to get the brushes together and some canvas and just get to painting... I saw someone do a painting the other day on their blog...and they used left over house paint...from different odd jobs around the house.
I have plenty of Ooops paint for that.

The thing is...I've never painted before!!!

It is a bit out of my comfort zone...so I really have to work at telling myself...I CAN PAINT!

love your artwork, Pat

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

P.S. it all looks finished to me!

Pat

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Very creative Revi. I too love the naked chair. Hey, she doesn't even have any rolls. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
Hugs,
Jann

Debra@CommonGround said...

What a wonderful post. and thankfully God works on us each day! So many things I love here, including the naked Miss Martha!!