Wednesday, August 8, 2012

One For You...One For Me - Thrifty Finds...


Hannah has been hoping to find 
one of these vintage spoon & fork 
sets for her apartment dining room. 
Saturday was the day!


I called her and asked if she still wanted them,
and she said, "YES!" I told her I'd buy them
for her, and she asked how much they cost.
$1 each. 

When I told her I'd also spray paint them
a cute color for her, the people who were
selling them said, "Oh. I guess WE could have 
done that, too! We didn't think of painting them."

From the perspective of someone who 
paints everything that doesn't move,
that just strikes me as strange! 

If they only knew how simple spray painting 
can be, they would seriously flip!

I also purchased a round mirror
with a beveled edge for .50c,


and two glass vases that look like
eggs or something for $2 each.


My main goal for being out on this warm
Saturday morning was to find an outlet from
which to sell the goodies I find on my outings.

It would be great to make a little profit, 
so I can go out and buy more thrifty treasures!

Oh, wait. FIRST, I need to sell some of the
things I already have. You know - my garage.

I'm hoping this will work well for those things 
I find in thrift stores that don't really work in my 
house, but they're a good buy, and way too 
cool to just leave at the thrift store! 

I visited two potential consignment places today,
and spoke to the owner of one who invited me
to bring her some things next week!

After that, I went to the thrift store to celebrate.


I found this groovy little industrial file box.

I'm keeping this. They had another,
but it wouldn't close properly, so I left it there.

How much? .50c - half off a buck.


Did I tell you that today was half price day? 
YES! And this thrift store already has really
good prices. I had a back seat full of stuff
for ten bucks. Here are most of the finds:

A small luster ware vase - .38c


Two small topiaries - 25c each
I have plans for these...


A metal pedestal. Can one really have
too many of these? It would be great for
a small cloche or a candle...and it cost .50c


A brass candle holder made in India - also .50c


Three rulers - 13c each.


A fancy tissue box - .75c 
Sellin' it - after I put new fabric inside.


Wire. Wire is a good thing to keep around the house.
 Especially when you pay only .50c for it.


And my most favorite purchase of the day,
for whatever reason...


a thirty-eight cent doll head!

It may not be old, but it's in the old style.
And it's just stinkin' cool!


I'm keeping the doll head. 

I didn't much like dolls when I was a little girl. 
I played with rocks and sticks and outside stuff. 
I was a tomboy. So I NEED a doll head now, right?

I'm selling some stuff, and keeping some.
You know the drill - one for you, one for me. 

Word for the Day:
Proverbs 23:23
Buy truth, and do not sell it; 
buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding.

Linking With

Sunday

Sunday’s Best
Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Restyled Sundays
Sister Sunday
Just something I whipped up
Creative Me Link Up
Monday

Metamorphosis Monday
Making the World Cuter Monday
Masterpiece Monday
The More the Merrier Monday
Manic Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Chalk Paint Link Party
Tuesday

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cowgirl Up!
Be Inspired
Wednesday

White Wednesday
Share the Love Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wed
Wow Us Wednesday
Penny Pinching Party
What’s it Wednesday
Show Me What Ya Got
Thursday

Under $100 Link Party
Transformation Thursday

Thursday Open House Party
Home and Garden Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Live Laugh Linky
Thursday Favorite Things
Suzy's House Party
thrift’n on a thursday
Friday

Feathered Nest Friday
Potpourri Friday
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Frugalicious Friday
Inspiration Friday
Free For All Friday
Spread the Love
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Delicately Constructed Friday
Flaunt it Friday
Saturday

Saturday Nite Special
Show & Tell Saturday

12 comments:

Stephanie @ The Cozy Old Farmhouse said...

Those are some great finds! I hope to have a consignment space one day to be able to resell my treasures, but our current living situation is temporary so I haven't pursued it. Some day though. For now I stick with the smaller stuff that I can sell on Etsy.

Thanks so much for stopping by The Cozy Old Farmhouse and becoming a follower! I'm terribly behind on my replies, as you can probably tell, but I'm so glad you visited. Your fancy tissue box reminds me of my very first post I did as a blogger. It was a makeover on a very similar tissue box. You can check it out here: http://thecozyoldfarmhouse.blogspot.com/2011/03/two-fun-little-mini-makeovers.html

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

You found some great deals! I love the big vintage utensils!

Cottage and Broome said...

I can't believe you got that doll head for 38 cents! What a find. I also love the giant fork and spoon how fun.. Laura

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Good finds Revi. Always love seeing wha ypu pick in your thrifting adventures. Hope that the consignment works out for you. Glad you found you a doll. Even tomboys need a friend. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Highland Monkey's said...

Gosh, you got some real bargains there...sigh....not that I'm jealous or anything!

Stephanie said...

Spray paint is my best friend. It's surprising more people don't think of painting but lucky for us they are willing to get rid of their stuff instead. Love the doll head and I bought that same luster vase at GW but I had to pay $1.98.

farmhouse-story said...

such thrifty great finds, revi! have a fun setting up a booth space:)

Gypsy Heart said...

You find the neatest things! Good luck with your retail space. I think you will do great with it.

xo
Pat

Stacey said...

Very nice finds! Your thrift store is quite the bargain! Mine is sooooo expensive!
Thank you for sharing this week at the Creative Inspirations party at Embracing Change!
Stacey :o)

Unknown said...

Great finds! Love the doll head and the file box!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I found the Consignment Shop announcement post!
Yay! for you. I would like to do that. Believe it or not, I don't know that I could walk in someplace and speak to them about selling! That is outside my comfort zone.
...I know, I leave all sorts of nice, funny and encouraging comments all over Blogspot...but, in person, that is another story.

I am working on opening up an Etsy store. I still have a few kinks to work out.
I love so many of your finds...they will sell after you beautify them...you have such a way!

I'm planning a shopping trip on Wednesday to a couple of thrift stores myself! I can't wait!

...have fun with it, Pat

Kathy said...

Fantastic finds - I do have problems when shopping for things to sell - I like them TOO much! Yeah, if they only knew how terrific spray paint is - the good thing for you - you can find bargains and transform them! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy