Friday, August 10, 2012

Old Crate from My Demi-Hoarder Garage


Here's another item that was tucked away 
in my hoarder garage.

I grabbed it years ago from my ex-mother-in-law,
who is now in her mid 80's. She said she 
and her sister used it as a makeshift doll house
when they were little girls in Houston.


The wood is water stained and oxidized. 
I found this on Etsy, which shows it in much better condition:


I also found info on Mutual Orange Distributors.
They are in Orange County, CA. They began
in the early 1900s.


Here's the end of my crate, with remnants of a label.
I can't tell what the name on the label was,
but on the bottom right is "Index Mutual Association."

Click HERE to view a MOST interesting web page 
with a large collection of images of vintage citrus labels.


I have seen some pretty great uses 
for old crates on Pinterest. 

This one is a bit fragile, but still has some charm.
I'm going to see if it can be useful somewhere in my home.


Word for the Day:
Genesis 1:12
The earth brought forth vegetation, 
plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, 
and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, 
each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.


5 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Wow... you really dug in there for information on your crate! Are you going to replicate it? Not this one, but maybe make another one, similar? That would be a cool project!
I love old crates. I've got a few around my place...they are pretty versatile.

...liking the doll house idea, that your MIL had, Pat

outjunking said...

You are finding some wonderful things in that garage. That seems to be a good place to pick.

farmhouse-story said...

love the crates, revi:) i don't run into very many around here. pinterest has great ideas for them, though:)

Eclectically Vintage said...

Fabulous find from your stash! I have a few cast off wooden crates from a neighbor who was moving (and trying to throw them away)!! Of course, I rescued them ... now what to do with them!
Kelly

Marsha said...

I know you are going to do something interesting with the crate....can't wait to see what !