Saturday, July 5, 2014

Ironstone and White China...a Good Day at the Thrift Store!


Sometimes, if I leave work early enough, I stop by a thrift store. I was in the MOOD to shop, after seeing all the treasures at Thrifty Life Thursday. On Thursday, I got a thrill...a long-awaited ironstone thrill.

As a woman of a certain age who has been collecting white dishes for decades and using them daily, I only found out what ironstone was when I began blogging almost three years ago.


I felt silly asking another blogger what it was - and she told me simply iron was used in making the dishware. Duh. (She was very nice about it - I just felt...dumb.)

I have probably passed up hundreds of platters and dishes like this one, because of the crazing.


I even tried soaking one in bleach to get it off once. Then, I probably got rid of it.

How was I to know, crazing and brown discolorations were a good thing?

Since I became educated about ironstone, I began looking for pieces in earnest. 

Note: I STILL buy odd white china pieces when I find them...ironstone marks or not.


Because I use them...daily...


Even when I haven't a clue what the mark is...any ideas?


I just thought it was a nice sized bowl in which to mix up a one-person portion of something. And hey - it cost .27c!

Just after spying a couple of bowls, I spotted the prize...


A nice platter - un-chipped, but heavily crazed. And the best part? It only cost .87c!


There was another nice unmarked platter - also .87c...


It has a few teeny-tiny chips around the scalloped rim. I bought it anyway.


My crazed platter is Knowles, Taylor & Knowles:


It was most likely produced in the 1870's to 1923, when the company went bankrupt. I found an interesting history HERE.

I also found another MUSTARD jar...after recently finding another for Hannah. What are the odds? It's very similar...now she'll have two; both topless.


Here is the one I found a couple of weeks ago:


She has mustard, gray and black in her dining room...so we'll figure out some way to use them!

The last white china thing I found was a few weeks back:



I bought two new boxes of 8 porcelain corn holders. Now, I can feed corn on the cob to 7 of my closest friends. :)

Word for the Day:
2 Corinthians 4:6-7
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.

Possibly Linking With:
Sunday
Sundays at Home
Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Tuesday
Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Scoop
Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
What’s it Wednesday
Cottage Style Party
Drop it or Swap it Party
Thursday
Under $100 Link Party
Creative Inspirations
Share Your Cup Thursday
Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Furniture Feature Friday
Frugal Friday
Junkin’ Joe
Saturday
Party Junk


8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Wow! Lucky you, I never have any luck finding ironstone in these parts, I love the patina on those pieces!

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Great finds. That platter is awesome!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love the platters! It's funny, but I never ever come across ironstone at the thrift or antique stores in our area. I live in the heart of Minnesota's "Iron" Range. How ironic is that?!

Have a good day!

My thrift store addiction said...

Great finds, Revi. Gotta love thrifting ;)

Marsha said...

Wow! Several great finds at wonderful prices! I'd love to eat an ear of corn with you! Happy Sunday.

chateau chic said...

So much fun to go thrifting when you find such great items you can use. I use my ironstone every day as well. Why collect it if you don't use it?
Mary Alice

Donna Wilkes said...

I am always crazy about the crazing and the brown spots. I have been looking for a couple of years for a mustard and you have found two !?! I am a little slow with math so I was wondering why you would only have seven friends eat corn on the cob until I realized you would probably eat some too.

The Vintage Chateau said...

You've got a great start on your collection, I particularly like the mustard pot. Just a small correction-ironstone does NOT have iron in the clay.If it did it would be very reddish in color. Ironstone was called this because of it's strength and durability.Good luck with your continued search!
Karee