Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Take Two - Styling a Mantel with Winter Twigs


January is a gray time...dead grass, and the leaves have long since fallen and blown away. 

Some might be wishing the winter away now, especially with the intense cold we have experienced this year. 

While I cannot fault them, I love winter. 


I see much beauty in winter; white show, icy crystal trees, textural grays and tans in empty trees and grass.  

These textural neutrals appeal to my senses as much as flowers in spring and green grass in summer.



Since I ALWAYS do it, I have "tweaked" my winter mantel to bring some winter texture. Au revoir, milk glass urns...



The matching milk glass containers were switched out with white terra cotta planters. This is the first time I have used them. I like the way they look with the chippy frames.


Gray twigs from my yard are now gracing each end of the vignette of chippy white, shiny mercury glass and tarnished silver plate small containers. 

Here's the new tweaked mantel:


The twigs add height, texture and something organic. 
Here's the first mantel:


As far as those sweet milk glass urns are concerned, I have some ideas for a spring mantel...and spring feels like it is just around the corner!

Word for the Day:
Psalm 74:17
You have fixed all the boundaries of the earth; you have made summer and winter.

Possibly Linking With:
Sunday
Sunday Show-off Link Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Mod Mix Monday
Revival Monday
Masterpiece Monday
Make it Pretty Monday
Tuesday
Vintage Inspiration Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Inspiration Exchange Linky Party
Wednesday
Blissfully White Wednesday
Restored it Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Show Me What Ya Got
What’s it Wednesday
Cottage Style Party
Penny Pinching Party
Thursday
http://petitemichellelouise.blogspot.com/
Grey Dey Thursday
Creative Inspirations
Thursday Open House Party
Time Travel Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Furniture Feature Friday
Friday Redoux Link Party
Frugal Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Fabulously Creative Friday
Saturday
Party Junk
Get Schooled Saturday
Show and Tell Saturday





15 comments:

The Tally Tales said...

Beautiful! I love the layered frames as well. Such a nice effect. Also… I'm a huge fan of the books arranged in the fireplace. How neat! Thanks for sharing. :)

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Very pretty Revi! I love those terracotta pots. They add a little more texture and the shape is so great.

Unknown said...

Your mantel looks so pretty. I love using twigs, too!!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This looks very nice and the twigs really add to the charm. Pretty!

Woodside Park said...

Lovely, Revi!! Very sculptural and artistically layered. BTW, I signed up for your posts by email and do not get updates. And as you know, your site is not updating on my blogroll. Do any of your other readers have problems? Just curious what I'm not doing right. Take care!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

It definitely works and creates a beautiful winter feel! Visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tuesday1

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your mantel and the twigs are fabulous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

Debra@CommonGround said...

I love each season, your winter mantel is wonderful!!

Audrey said...

A very interesting and enjoyable mantel. The frames really add to it. I can't seem to get mine together ... I keep changing it. Thanks for the inspiration.
Blessings,
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Revi, and those frames look great against your mirror!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

So very lovely and clever! I don't have a mantel and wish so much that I did. Also love your ingenious use of stacked books in the fire box! I've just blogged about restyling hardbacks to look like vintage editions, they would look marvelous with your beautiful decor.

Burlap Luxe said...

Soulful Revi,
À beautiful winters calm here.
Love the stacking frames, I have naked frames in my home, as well as twigs, it just makes things feel so peaceful.

Blessings, a beautiful inspiring February

Xoxo
Doré

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

I saw this link on Ivy & Elephants and had to come visit. I really love this...very artistic and original! Love the mix of the empty frames and those planters with the twigs.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

As usual Revi, the tweaking looks terrific! Love the urns and the addition of the branches! Although Spring is my favorite season, I do enjoy the beauty of Winter. Thanks for sharing with SYC. Thanks so much for featuring my plaid picnic too! Such a sweet surprise!
hugs,
Jann

Unknown said...

love love love this version of your mantel and all the chippy frames I am your newest follower